G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a small description and pictures of my new Garden Railroad. I use a product called Tuff Wood to construct the roadbed. This small layout took about 8 hours to assemble, not bad for a day off from work!

http://www.parone.org/trains/

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Tony
Any bad day working on the railroad is better than any good day at work:D
Looking very good, I also used the raised bed method, I love it.
Keep us posted
Dennis

·
Registered
62 Posts
This looks great! I used the ladder method as well, however, due to cost restrictions I used 2" PVC pipe for the posts and 1/2" sch 40 pipe for the track supports. A 100 ft loop only ran me about $100 for the materials :). Keep up the great work. And let us know when you have more pictures of your landscaping.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Tony,

Great layout--you work a lot faster than I do. I too am using ladder roadbed, but mine is cedar lumber ripped (probably why mine took so long). One thought--you painted it black, I have heard of problems with PCV when painted dark colors-expands and contracts a great deal? No personal experience but just something I thought I had seen posted here somewhere. Are you planning on filling in up to the roadbed or just leaving in up?

Your blog is great.:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question about the black paint. The area is fairly shaded right now... but my intention is to cover with plantings and rocks. I don't think I'll get into ballast at the moment. With the elevated nature, and the lack of desire to import yards of dirt, I might just slip some material under the track to hold ballast.

I'll read out on the black paint. I picked it so the roadbed would be less conspicuous to my visitors.

I enjoy blogging my photos, just FYI, I use Picasa, a free program to manage my digital photos, and a account on blogger.com. The great feature is that I can select up to 4 photos at a time and click one button to have them automatically post to my blog.

If shad is looking for a useful feature on MLS, this would be a great one... Garden railroad blogging!

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
looking good! I also used ladder trackbed and preformed curves at first, till I got a track bender. I love that jig you built--my method involved the help of wife and son and a bunch of muttering, cursing, and throwing tools to the ground

1 - 9 of 9 Posts