G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is me!!

Taken today 03/22/2008.

I have lost 72 pounds since October of 2006.  Over 50 of those pounds have been since last year's ECLSTS at York, PA.

Before - 08/2006.  I'm afraid that those of you whom I have met at the ECLSTS may not recognize me at this year's show.  Well, my voice still sounds the same, but I now wear size 34 slacks instead of size 44.

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in January of 2007.  Through diet and exercise, I have been able to get my blood sugar under control without the need for any medication.  My doctor wants me to lose 80 pounds, so I still have a few pounds to go.  BUT I sure feel a LOT better than I did when the Before photo was taken.

I will be at the show on Saturday, and I will try to say Hi to as many of you as I can. 

Best wishes,
David Meashey

·
Just another old guy
786 Posts
A big congratulations,

The weight lost kit bash is wonderful news. :D

I was diagnosed Type II April of 2007./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

Tommy:cool:
Rio Gracie

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jb;

My doctor sent me to a diabetic management class.  They taught me how to manage food proportions and count carbohydrates.  15 grams of carbohydrates in a food equals one carbohydrate serving.  To lose weight, I must restrict myself to 3 carb servings at breakfast and lunch and 4 carb servings at supper.  I have learned to stick to that.

Then I also have to exercise daily.  Moderate exercise, such as walking and riding an exercise bicycle, seem to work well for me.  If you can find a similar class in your area, I highly recommend it.

Kevin and Tommy;

Thanks for the encouragement.  I don't know whether I'm narrow gauge (most of my model trains are), but I know that I am no longer BROAD gauge.  ;)

Have fun & Easter Blessings,
David Meashey

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Wow. Looking great!

G

·
What was the secret to your success?

there is no secret. a smaller plate on the table is not as bad, as injecting insulin dayly.
measuring bloodsugar dayly, every little sin shows clearly.
the bad part is - it is not just make an effort, it is keeping up the effort.

David Meashey,
congratulations! you got rid of more than double of overweight, then i did. (but i had less excess luggage to start with)
let's look at the bright side of it: isn't it nice to be able to use laced shoes again?

keep goin'!

korm
(545 down to between 90 - 110)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
One of the engineers at the Chicago Botanic was grossly overweight and suffering raging diabetes. Had an opperation last fall. You should see the difference. He's lost at least a hundred pounds, has energy, life, "vim, vigor and vitality." I'm not sure what he had done.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Dave,

That's GREAT!! Losing weight is never easy.  MB lost 35 lbs a few years ago through a similar diet/ exercise regiment.  I just ran into an old friend who had been on the chunky side, and by just cutting out Pepsi, lost 20 lbs in a month (and there was exercise there too.).

Keep up the good work!! Even though I am on the skinny side,  I find that the more I exercise, the more energy I have.  I have weaned myself to a single cup of coffee (OK, its a 16 oz cup) in the morning, but I run before that for a minimum of 35 minutes (5 miles).  

I hope to see you at the show!

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts