G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short while ago I picked this Great Trains F-40 body shell up on EvilBay:

With the intent to build it up so I have something to pull my Great Trains Observation car around. Now thanks to a fellow forum member  XL Special, Larry Trumbull, who as Marlon Brandow said, "Made me an offer I cant refuse", I now have a very large reason to proceed with this project now, actually 3 very large reasons...

I am now the very proud owner of 3 vintage Amtrak Superliners that Larry offered me. These are big cars, about 24" long, nicely detailed to me, and very impressive looking, did I mention these are large? I did some preliminalry testing on the layout and yes! they should be fine going around it, they juuuust make it through the new tunnel portals in the background. I'm just glad I aquired these BEFORE I had set in the scenery, Now I can builld the layout around the clearance these cars will require. I just now need to build an engine strong enough to pull it around the grades, or if worse comes to worse, maybe a USA A-B F-3 set??? 

Did I mention these are large cars? Theirs some work to do to them, which Larry pointed out before I got them. The biggest being I need to add couplers back onto the trucks, one car has some glazing missing, and theres some ACC hazing but overall these look great as is. and if I decide to get nutty, the top comes off and they look like they were intended to have interiors installed. Now theres a summer project! Did I mention these are large cars?

To this day I am still amazed no one has aquired the molds and reissued any of these models. What a waste of tooling. With all the brewhaha over modern passenger cars that happened with LGBs Amtrak cars theres obviously a demand for the modern out there, but is anyone listening?

Big Thanks Again Larry, I dig them!  Did I mention these are large cars?  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Hi Vic,

I'm sure we all want to know, but you didn't mention how large they are...  probably just an oversight.  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif  They look great!  I look forward to seeing pics of your F40 pulling those.  I don't remember if it was discussed before, but out of curiosity are the cars of a similar scale to the LGB Genesis? 

You bring up a good point...  does anyone know what happened to those molds?

-Jon (a.k.a Farmer Ted)

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Vic,

Could you use a new Aristo GP-40 as the base, and slap that F-40 shell on top?  Oh wait, that shell's 1/32, isn't it?  

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon, the Gennie is closer to 1/29 but its R1 capable. Not sure how odd it would look, but then again a USA F3 might not look right either.

Mark, I considered an Aristo FA1 which is also R1 capable, but the loose trucks I have show its likely too large for this shell, so even a smallish GP9 would likely be too large. Its that whole 1/32 vs 1/29 thing getting in the way.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
That's the first time I've ever seen those cars and they do look nice.

My LHS has a F40PH for sale at like 250.00 but I thought it looked kinda short & stubby..kinda like Great Trains used selective compression on the design...to me it looked shorter than a USA F3??

·
Registered
35 Posts
The F40 is too small for USAT chassis and trucks.  Even if you used an MTH chassis you most likely will have to shorten it as the locomotive has been shortened quite a bit.  Consider NWSL motor blocks and scratched side frames.  The NWSL motorblock is what came with  the complete locomotives.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to try Aristo Centercab bricks first. I know how to get the best out of them, besides I already have one avalable. Larry sent along in the box a cast metal frame that I might be able to use here, have to look more carefully at it.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Vsmith, I know Great Train F-40 in 1992 i was a teenager they are nice. But F-40 have one motor front wheel drive, rear was dummy. I remember back 0in those days there were Three amtrak versions--only on F-40 phase 1 phase 2,another phase 2 version with personal name all over F-40 limited edition.
Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the frame is too long, so I'll have to cut one out of some hobby 3/16 plywood I have. I will have to think about this one before I start carving it up. Its mostly how I will mount the bricks, as they are fairly tall and will require a recess.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Vic - Panic 4 sure

The F40 size looks OK 2 me. USA S-2 on right -n- LGB on left.

The_Other_Ray

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Started cutting the base ply for the frame, marked off all the locations for drivebricks (need to order the second brick), added weight, etc. Going to start adding basswood strips on the inside of the shell to give the ply something to screw into. Need to think about adding a cab interior, I'll check John Warners FP45 log for that detail. Also need to decide how I'm going to add glazing on the inside. I'm going to make this engine heavy, as it needs the adhesion to pull those cars, the bricks themselves are like 2lbs each, add a big lump of lead wieght I have, and I should be able to get it up to 8 lbs. I'll test it in action to make sure its strong enough before I finish it. Headlights? Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Great topic and pics. This is also on my radar screen but where to look?. Must be lots of old ones gathering dust out there. Where are they? And the molds (as 1st said above)?? Imagine if LGB of America could find them and do something with them Yea!!!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Jon

A bit smaller than the LGB Gen's. Here is the back side view connected to a 1:32 MTH smoothside.

Different roads along with 1 or 2 motor blocks and even a dummy were available.

Here is the Dual motor Amtrac Loco

The_Other_Ray

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Jim

They are out there lurking in basements cause I found one such stash last year.....
So many road names and not just F40's, but GP's and F7's tooo.....

The_Other_Ray

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow Ray I love that storage display rack, very nice!

Thanks for the reference pics, looks like a nice collection. Looks like you've been collecting for a long time.

Do you have any pics of the rear platform? I could use a reference photo for my project. Its the only view I dont have. Thanks Vic

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Vic
Sorry to report that the wall display is NOT mine but the fellow
from whom I bought some parts. 
Say - You were bidding against ME for YOUR F40.....snipper..
.......maybe I should not help you...NA...its OK...
Here are two shots of the tail end to help you out.
The_Other_Ray

They used the standard LGB hook-n-loop on the post.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts