G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay all,

Well after a year of work (yah--I'm not real fast) her she is: one kitbashed, detailed, painted and weathered FEC GP-38-2!

I wired it up with an Airwire, P5, 2 FL4 decoders and a 14.4V NiMH battery.  I am really happy with my first attempt in G scale.  Cut me some slack--I am one of those HO scale converts.

Please let me know what ya'll think.  Now I just need to get that layout in the yard to run her./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif

Matt

G

·
outstanding work! great lookin loco/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gifive got about 30 loco's want to wheather them for me/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif nice job.
Nick

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
That's one of the best weathering jobs I've ever seen. Very realistic. WOW!:D

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. Careful though I might not get my head through the door if you keep it up.

Nick, I would be happy to do a loco for you--can you wait about a year? Seems I only get to play trains between work, my two kids and the never ending honey doo list (you all got one of those too--right?!

Matt

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi Matt,

Tremendous job on the bashing.
Absolutely outstanding job on the weathering job.
Real nice model
Well Done.
Tom

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Burl,

The sanding hoses are steel flower wire from the craft store.  They are a compromise to an operating model--they are not in the right place (sanding hoses are not actually attached to the trucks at both ends), and lack the end detail--but seem convinceing from a distance. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif  Here is a close up:

Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Matt

Great job, thanks for sharing. Two questions for you if you don't mind; what coupler did you use and is that a scratch built turnout?

Thanks

Colin

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Colin, the coupler is a Kadee with the trip pin removed.

The switch is not my work--an Old Pullman code 250 #6 switch--really beautiful piece if you ask me.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Matt,
Great looking loco.  I can appreciate all the time it takes to do detailing like that. Very nice weathering.  You mentioned two FL4 decoders. I also use them for lighting effects like Gyra lights,Mars lights,ditch lights,roof beacons,  etc.  Just curious,what are you using them for that you needed two of them?  Thats eight programable outputs.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
very nice,  great weathering.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Marty.

Paul, one FL4 is running the front and rear ditch lights and I use 2 of the 4 outputs to run each of the strobes on the roof. Per my "sources" (aka FEC engineer) the roof strobes do not flash in unison, but rather independently--I suspect like fire rescue or road construction equipment. So I set each strobe up on its own output and varied the timing via the CV's The effect is really cool. I was planning on using the other 2 outputs to do the front and rear headlights, but ended up using the Airwire decoder instead for simplicity (one less thing to program).

So in the end I have the ditch lights set up to go on and off with the direction of travel and to fllash with the horn crossing F4, the cab lights and number boards are on in either direction, all lights are tunred on and off with F0, and the strobes are truned on and off with F10. I did not remap any of the P5 functions--I don't have the cable and software for reprogramming. Though I do have the jack wired and hidden on the front of the fuel tank in case it is needed.

I have to thank you for helping with the programming help a few months back.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Matt,
Getting the Phoenix cable would be well worth it.  They have some new features that make the P5 or 2K2 even better.  The new rev up rev down will let you run the diesels notches up to where you want even if moving slow. That in combo with the diesel working sound is fantastic for a heavy train at slow speed. I have a long upgrade on my layout where I set the throttle to notch 8,turn on the diesel working and creep about 10-15 mph. The roar blows me away everytime I do it.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Paul,

That sounds cool (excuse the pun--not intended).   Did you order the cable and software from Phoenix directly.  Does the cable come with a USB connection or a serial port connection?  My newer laptop does not have a serial port./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

Not to change the thread, but Paul do you have any new photos of your layout?  It was one of the reasons I decided to go with G scale instead of HO--the previous phots were truly inspiring and more of a "scale railroading in the garden" rather than "garden railroading"--if ya catch my drift.

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Matt,
I have had trouble posting pictures here lately with the new software and have pretty much given up.  I did post a bunch of photos over on the Aristo website  of my new Cotton Belt GP40.  I put them up last week,they should still be easy to find.    As for the Phoenix cable it is for a serial port.  There have been some posts here about the adapter you would need.  There again you should be able to find them or just ask the question again in a new post.  I don't think it is too difficult to do.
Paul

·
A Steamed Elder
3,857 Posts
Matt-

Like Paul said, the cable is a great accessory. I found the Keyspan adapter for the USB at Fry's when I first got my sound unit in September 2007. Fry's had it for around $40 if I remember correctly. Look on the Phoenix site and get the EXACT model number they recommend. It works great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts