G Scale Model Train Forum banner

My first repaint (don't judge me too harshly)

5K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  jimtyp 
#1 ·
OK... I haven't been posting at my usual rate recently.. I've been deep in a project. Breaking new ground for me anyway. I have completed (mostly) my first repaint of a locomotive. It was a tad more challenging than I had anticipated. I still need to do some fine touchups, a dab here adn there to smooth out a few lines. ANd I'll probably be replacing the decals at some point, but I'm mostly satisfied.

I started off with your garden variety Amtrak GP38-2...

Then I got a little inspiration from a photo of a mid 80's ICG GP38-2

And a few weeks later, the Amtrak was transformed....

Not the best photos I know, but I'll try and get a few more outside in the sunshine tomorrow.

The project was not without incident.. Somehow I managed to loose and entire bag of parts.. I managed to cobble it back together.. I think it'll work... Just hope no one looks too closely..

See less See more
#15 ·
Yeah Richard... The big ICG on the sides I did by priming and painting the sides of the long hood orange, then overlaying a mask of the letters that I made on my computer, printed on Avery sticker paper. I just peeled the backing off and stuck them in place. Then oversprayed the long hood in Gray.

I sprayed the nose Gray, taped off the chevron stripes, then did the cab in Orange. After everything dried for a day or so I peeled all the masking off and got what you see now..

The nose emblem and the numbers on the sides of the cab are stickers I made and printed off fthe computer on the Avery paper as well.

#22 ·
The ICG is the Illinois Central Gulf. To quote a line or two from the history books..

"On August 10, 1972 the Illinois Central Railroad merged with the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad to form the Illinois Central Gulf Railroad. On February 29, 1988, the ICG dropped the "Gulf" from its name and again became known as the Illinois Central Railroad."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.