G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I haven't been posting at my usual rate recently.. I've been deep in a project. Breaking new ground for me anyway. I have completed (mostly) my first repaint of a locomotive. It was a tad more challenging than I had anticipated. I still need to do some fine touchups, a dab here adn there to smooth out a few lines. ANd I'll probably be replacing the decals at some point, but I'm mostly satisfied.

I started off with your garden variety Amtrak GP38-2...

Then I got a little inspiration from a photo of a mid 80's ICG GP38-2

And a few weeks later, the Amtrak was transformed....

Not the best photos I know, but I'll try and get a few more outside in the sunshine tomorrow.

The project was not without incident.. Somehow I managed to loose and entire bag of parts.. I managed to cobble it back together.. I think it'll work... Just hope no one looks too closely..

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Great job Dave. Did you strip the unit or just paint over? later RJD

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just painted over it. I think for the next one I'll try and strip it. Or just buy and unpainted version and start from scratch.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Nothing to be harsh about. It's a really nice job with lots of very crisp lines. Good-on-ya....

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Richard... The big ICG on the sides I did by priming and painting the sides of the long hood orange, then overlaying a mask of the letters that I made on my computer, printed on Avery sticker paper. I just peeled the backing off and stuck them in place. Then oversprayed the long hood in Gray.

I sprayed the nose Gray, taped off the chevron stripes, then did the cab in Orange. After everything dried for a day or so I peeled all the masking off and got what you see now..

The nose emblem and the numbers on the sides of the cab are stickers I made and printed off fthe computer on the Avery paper as well.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Nice job Dave. It looks like you need very little touch up. I like the large side letters. Good Job.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts