G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after calling all over the country this morning I finally found  what I was looking for, I purchased my very first G scale locomotive , its a brand new Aristo Dash 9 ATSF War Bonnet, I didnt realize that would be such a hard critter to find but I did and cant wait to take it to the Garden and let'er rip:)

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Cool machine, eh?

I wouldn't have thought it'd be hard to find.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys and YES I will be getting alot of pictures of it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to the best hobby this side of heaven. I haven't even laid one foot of track since I started my layout last fall. But I didn't let that stop me from purchasing four engines and three dozen freight/passenger cars in anticipation of the day I can actually run something in the back yard. I plan to use battery/RC outside. So that means I have to convert each engine before I can try them outside. There just never seems to be a dull moment with garden railroad trains. 

John

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
This side of heaven?

I assure you God is a model railroader. It says in Isaiah 6:

"I saw the LORD high and lifted up and his train filled the temple."

Modern translations say "the train of his robe," but we know better;)

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the great sermon Torby. I did not fall asleep once. I really enjoyed the choir's choice of Long Train runnin'.
Jeff
Tallapoosa and Southern

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By MasonsDad on 02/13/2008 7:23 PM
Well after calling all over the country this morning I finally found  what I was looking for, I purchased my very first G scale locomotive , its a brand new Aristo Dash 9 ATSF War Bonnet, I didnt realize that would be such a hard critter to find but I did and cant wait to take it to the Garden and let'er rip:)
I have one of those. Ran it this summer under remote battery power and with a Phoenix sound system. This is an excellent engine: runs very well, especially as far as stability on the track and is an extremely impressive locomotive.

--Ron in Alaska

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Ron, I tried to do a little homework on the many choices I had and REALLY like the Dash 9 with the War bonnet, for now Im going to just run it right out of the box and then start shopping around for sound, any recomendations?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Ben,
Nice loco!

As far as sound goes popular choices are Dalle, QSI, Sierra and Phoenix.
Dallee is the cheapest and is monophonic, meaning you only hear one sound at a time. If the horn sounds the diesel sound stops. The Dash 9 is worthy of better sound.
QSI is a motor controlller and sound board. It is mainly for use with DCC although I understand it can be used with DC. Users say the sound is equal to Sierra and Phoenix.
Sierra has great sound and is a bit cheaper than Phoenix. It is a popular choice.
Phoenix is the top of the line and cost more than Sierra. If you buy the computer programing kit, the Phoenix has tons of sound adjustments. And you can program it for different engine types. You can cut cost by putting the sound card in a box car and just reprogram it for the loco type at the head of the train. This can save you money if you have multiple locos.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By MasonsDad on 02/15/2008 5:31 PM
Thank you Ron, I tried to do a little homework on the many choices I had and REALLY like the Dash 9 with the War bonnet, for now Im going to just run it right out of the box and then start shopping around for sound, any recomendations?
Spend the extra bucks on the Phoenix. You won't be sorry.

--Ron in AK

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the VERY helpful advice Gents its greatly appreciated

·
Super Modulator
21,036 Posts
Another option, if you run DC with an ordinary power pack, the QSI board just plugs into the socket in the -9 and has sound, momentum, all the bells and whistles. $127.
On DC, flipping the reversing switch can control the horn and the bell (separately).

If you add the Quantum Engineer ($45) you can control over 30 different sounds remotely.

Worth looking into... go to the QSI Solutions web site.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update

Its here!!! came in today ,a day early un packed it set it on the Mantle until this friday when it goes to the Garden for a full days run

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Jerry,
Congratulations on the new baby [dash 9] as well as Mason.  You have just bought a ticket to many hours of fun and activity.... and possibly an addiction... 

I look forward to seeing you on Chat again.  
JimC.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My mind must be in the gutter as I thought you were going to say that you finally got ............L*&d...

Art

1 - 20 of 23 Posts