G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys I finally finished my first layout design that I am happy with. I drew it up on Railmodeller for Mac and pretty much used flex track for the whole thing. I'm sure I will tweak it just a bit but tell me what you guys think. ^^ Each square on the grid represents 1 square foot. The brown circle represents a mountain and the blue represents water flowing down the mountain, over waterfalls and into a pond. The gray green section around the layout represents a path around the layout and the 3-D looking gray polygons around the bottom of the layout represents the wall that surrounds the layout which will raise it about 3 feet or so. So far it is called the Conrail Ressurection Project. Let me know what you guys think ^^]

-Will

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
little large photo. good track plan two loops ,

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Looks good.. put another crossover between loops, if you can. It would also be good to put in where sidings will be eventually for dropping off/picking up cars.

Find a place for a switchyard, hopefully with tracks long enough to hold a whole train. These things will really add to your enjoyment.

I like the 2 independent loops idea...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Looks like a good workable design! Don't forget to make your elevation changes as gradual as possible. As a rule of thumb, mainline standard gauge modern railroads stay 2% or less. If you are modeling narrow gauge then you can go up to 4% but it does put a strain on your engines (and is bloody difficult to plow in the winter!) Anything higher than 4% and you are in the realm of logging railroads using geared engines!

G

·
0 Posts
the walkways for 1:1 scale people look too narrow. Make most of them wide enough so that two people can pass each other.

Add some sidings in later for switching but a twice around loop works pretty well.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think it looks good too Will! Nice broad curves should allow you to run anything out there too.

I figured the diagram is just to provide a rough idea and that the walkway areas will probably be a little wider than one foot. One of those things that once you actually get out there and start building you will adjust somethings for appeal and functionality.

I think it's a great plan Will, can't wait to see you break ground and get started. Are you going to give the RR a name? W of S RR maybe?
I didn't assign a name to mine but many do.

Keep us posted.

Raymond

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a bunch guys ^^ Astrayelmgod I am going to landscape it yes. Gwschreyer, the walkways aren't to scale at all. They are actually not going to be polygons. The important part is the locations of everything. And Greg this is my first layout so I am just making main lines for now ^^ I'll have to see how this goes before adding to it. Everyone said to start small so I am starting medium lol. I tried to make it appealing to the eyes, and practical, but it is more difficult than my skill level but hey, having you guys to help me out as much as you guys do, I'm not worried about it at all. You guys gave me the confidence to go with it. Thanks a bunch!

-Will

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Will, experiment and play around. Publish here, many people will give many opinions. One thing that worked for me is trying to put in or make room for the spurs/sidings in the first place, and then try to build the layout in stages.

I did an inner loop, an outer loop, then a switchyard, etc. Each phase added more running space, but phase one gave me a loop to run around.

You might read this page on my site as an example: [url]http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/planning-aamp-design-mainmenu-55 [/url]

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Ah, What do you plan on doing with the trains when they aren't actually running? Having to carry everything on and off of the layout everytime you want to use it is a real drag, Trust me.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Greg, do you still have pics on your website of that double helix you had? Do you still have it? Never thought of it before but it would be kinda neat to see a video of the trains running up and down the helix.

I can say I agree with rpc7271 on that one. I know it's not an option for everyone but that was why I ended up building that big ramp up into the basement and cut a hole in the side of the house. Driving them out is much nicer than carrying them. That is if you have a way to do it...

Raymond

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Yes Ray:

[url]http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mainmenu-27/layout-progress-aamp-development-mainmenu-57/building-a-helix-mainmenu-62[/url]

It was just too tight, so I ran the track down along the fence, and looped it back along the house.

So far it's working, ran an 8 car passenger with 2 E8's and about 20 car freight.

Will keep increasing train length.

The helix was just too tight, about 8' diameter and too steep. Now, I could run locos up it, but I think to do it right, you would need to be 15' diameter or greater.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm, good point. Maybe something portable so I don't have to take up too much more of the yard lol. Most of it will be incorporated into the layout. Greg the double helix is a great idea but the layout will be raised and so would the point I put the trains on so I guess it would just be a straight bridge to the layout. The other option is putting a shed close to the layout and keeping the power and trains in that. First things first, privacy fence for when Marty brings his trains over wearing his Aristo T-shirt and speedos. I think my neighbors would draw the line there.
Hmmm... I'm not sure how I'd explain that one...
This will devalue the property a bit doing this project but I'm not planning on going anywhere. At least... not yet. Thanks for all the input guys ^^

-Will

·
Super Modulator
20,521 Posts
Will, the helix was just for Ray's request, not a suggestion to you at all.

Put a shed up and run a track into it, one of the best ideas.

Regards, Greg

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yeah sorry I wasn't sure you necessarily wanted to do a Helix, but thought it would be something interesting to have Greg share.

The direct link to the layout isn't something that really hit me till later and carrying the engines to the layout day after day after day. If I had to recommend one thing to put some thought into for the long term that would be it.

Have fun.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
You both have my current track plan beat!

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
That's a great looking design. I like it a lot. My biggest regret with ours is that I fit the trains into an existing garden, rather than doing the whole thing as a piece. The two independent loops coming together and moving away will look great.

Best thing I ever did was to build a train shed, so I could just roll the trains in and out under their own power. We have a small house, space is limited, and carrying the stuff back and forth is a big pain, and it leads to things breaking a lot. The shed doubles as a yard too. I can't tell what your space is like, but building a car barn made the whole experience much more pleasant for me. I got the idea from people here. it's since been painted red.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts