G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning my first G scale (or any scale, now that I think about it) bash, a Santa Fe CF7. I am either going to do 2417, 2420, or 2427. I disassembled the USA GP7 I am using as a base tonight and am going to order parts soon. I am doing it for the Model Railroader kitbash contest, but if it does not win, I will send it to GR. I'll post my progress when I have time (which I hope will be fast because it has to be done by June.)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like an interesting build. Keep in mind that the CF's were a tad shorter then the GP7/9's. A USAT F7 fuel tank should do quite well as a replacement for the 7's arrangement.

-Kurt

·
Registered
120 Posts
I believe the truck bolsters between the CF7 and GP7 differed by just a foot - not particularly worth cutting the frame over (and if you wished to be absolutely accurate, you could always use a USAT F3 chassis instead).

Devcon Plastic Welder does work wonders to hold stuff like this together though...

-Kurt

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Cool. I've always thought the CF-7s had a very unique, appealing look to them--for some strange reason they reminded me of a puppy. Don't ask... Anyway, I can't wait to see your progress on this. I'm not a diesel person, but if you're going to build one, pick one with personality! This certainly qualifies.

Later,

K

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The article about it has to be in the MR offices by June 1, so I have to work fast. I'm going to order parts probably tomorrow, so I can probably start the bash next week sometime.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I am very interested in your kitbash as well. I also am a fan of the CF-7. Seems like a perfect engine to be done in G as they have made there way to shortlines all over the country, and they do look different than just about anything out there.

Kevin, I agree the round cab units remind me of a basset hound!?

Just a thought on the cab--might consider making it out of clear styrene or acrylic-tape off the windows and paint the cab--would create the effect of flush windows. I saw an article awhile ago in Model Railroader about someone that did that with scratchbuilt passanger cars.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By Dr G on 02/20/2009 11:56 AM
I am very interested in your kitbash as well. I also am a fan of the CF-7. Seems like a perfect engine to be done in G as they have made there way to shortlines all over the country, and they do look different than just about anything out there.

Kevin, I agree the round cab units remind me of a basset hound!?

Just a thought on the cab--might consider making it out of clear styrene or acrylic-tape off the windows and paint the cab--would create the effect of flush windows. I saw an article awhile ago in Model Railroader about someone that did that with scratchbuilt passanger cars.

Regards,

Matt

Sounds like a good idea, I might have to try that. I just need to figure out what thickness.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I finally ordered $50 of parts and $50 of tools last week and I should get them on Thursday. Unfortunately, they were out of stock of the glue I wanted, so I won't be able to assemble it yet unless I get some glue. They also didn't have 2 other things I wanted, so I will have to make an order of substitute things and get it in as fast as I can.

I decided on 2417 because I found pictures of both sides and the front, more than I found for the other 2.

And if the article doesn't get in Model Railroader, I'm sending it to Garden Railways.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Interesting. A friend was an engineer for a shortline that had some of these S/H. He said they were actually good locos.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Since I still don't have the parts, it isn't looking like I'm going to get it done in time for the contest. At least I won't have to rush if there's no deadline. Unless a miracle happens and I get it done in time, I'll send the article to GR.

I did start a little work on it, sanding off some mold parting lines and cutting some small things off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went to Kinkos today and got copies of the plans made, so I started on the cab. Here are the first pictures:
(Sorry about the quality of some of them.)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Great start!! I really like the idea of blowing up the plans to full size. What is the formula? I assume the originals were HO--No? What road name is it going to be?

On the photo thing--looks like motion to me--dark room and the camera increased exposure setting--either more light (shooting outside is good) or set the camera on a solid surface and use the automatic timer to shoot the photo without touching the camera.

Can't wait to see the progress.

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Holly Batman using a C&NW unit
what was wrong with using a Santa Fe unit. Great start so I'll be looking for the future instalments of the kit bash. Later RJD

1 - 20 of 31 Posts