G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to update everyone on the progress of my layout but I had to start a new thread because my previous thread is in the archives. If you want to see previous postings on this project, go here:

http://archive.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42077

I'm not quite finished placing the ballast but I'm getting towards the end. I decided to start on the new big part of the layout, the moutain/tunnel portion. I'm going to make one end of the layout a mountain with the trains going through the middle. I've started building the tunnel portal portion by painting some plywood black on one side and attaching it to benchwork and then attaching the tunnel portal to the plywood pieces. When you look in the tunnel portal, you'll see the black sides of the tunnel. Below are some pictures:

It looks crude right now but it's just the beginning. I will update you all with more pictures as things progress.

J.R.

·
Registered
114 Posts
JR,
nice job so far, just something to keep in mind (and you may already have this planned), trains usually derail where you can't get to them! I'd make sure that somewhere in that tunnel you have a removable section that if you have a derailment, you can still get to them.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
It looks crude right now but it's just the beginning.

Compared to mine, it's fantastic!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steamnutt,

Yes I have thought of that. I'm going to put up 1/4" plywood along the edges that will be the sides of the mountain and on the back side, in the middle, I'm going to place a hatch door to that I can reach in and grab any trains that have de-railed. I would be nervous not having direct access inside the mountain!

Thanks.

J.R.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wanted to share the latest addition to my layout. About 10 months ago, I wanted to buy USAT's UP Southern Pacific Heritage SD-70 but it wasn't out yet so I bought a standard Union Pacific SD-70MAC but with sound from Charles Ro. The engine has been great and I love the sound!
My birthday was about a week ago and I got some Charles Ro gift certificates so a couple of days ago, I went to the store and bought the UP 1996 Southern Pacific heritage unit but I didn't get sound on this one. I figure I'll get sound put in later. When I put it on the tracks, one of the head lights was not working so I returned it and they gave me another unit. I took some pictures and wanted to post them. The two SD-70's look great together!

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
Yep sure do like the Heritage locos. Thanks for the pics. How bit will your inddor layout be? Looks good from what I've seen so far. Later RJD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aceinspp,

My layout is 36' long and 14' wide at one end and 11' wide at the other. The reason why one end is narrower at one end is because I have some french double doors that I didn't want to block. The extra 3' that I have at the other end is going to be part of a town. I want to get PIKO's union station for my train station.

J.R.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Whoa, there's some serious diesel stuff there in one of pics. You've got quite a fleet.. As another indoor railroader its always nice to see what others are doing in their dungeons, errrr I mean subterranean spaces.
Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tom,

I use chicken starter grit. I actually have to go out and get more because I'm not quite finished with the ballasting. I kind of agree with you on the look. It's a little too white for me but the size works. To give it some color, I sprinkle some of Woodland Scenics black coarse ballast. Below is a picture that I took a while ago. The outside track now has ballast.

You can kind of see some of the black specs in the photo. That's the Woodland Scenics stuff. Hope that answers your question.

J.R.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
What kind of Chicken grit are you using? Oyster shells or granite? I get a pink granite stuff in "medium size" that looks very much like what the U.P. is using on the old C&NW line across Iowa. Looks really good. Oyster shells are a white "chip" shape, but the granite is a chunk rock shape.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Semper,

I use crushed granite. What you describe sounds pretty good but now I'm too far along with ballasting that I can't switch.

I went to a train show in my area today and I saw this great sign that when I saw it, I knew exactly where it would go. When you open the door to my basement, you walk down a couple of stairs and turn to the left to go down the remaining stairs to the basement. So I put up this sign so that when you open the door, you see it.

I think it's a cool addition to my trains!

J.R.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks J R I like the idea of the other color added the the chicken grit. Is the ballest held with gravity or have you used any glue to keep it from going anywhere? My ballast is held with gravity but I'm thinking of puting some diluted white glue on it. Tom Thornton

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
JR747

..GIFT cards to Charlie's....that's better than COAL......;^).....

Yea Todd, I can hear your brain cells firing all the way over here.....

Time for a ROAD TRIP down those stairs....what U say Jr.?

the_Other_Ray

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tom,

I first spray the ballast with "wet water." I then add matte medium to the ballast. I like matte medium better than white glue because it dries clear. It takes about 24 hours for it to completely harden. I like to glue the ballast down because that chicken grit can go everywhere!

Todd,

Yes, I live about a half hour from Charles Ro. I feel pretty lucky! I'm using Aristo 9' and 10' curves on my main line. I'm fortunate enough to have enough room to run that size curves indoors. If you want more information on my layout, go the first posting in this thread and I give the link the first thread that's in the archives.

J.R.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts