G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you don't have someone to write those instructions - may I suggest Ernie Noa!

He has 16 pages of instructions with photos on how to set up his portable layout.
I never have understood the Egyptian string in the early stages of this process.

Usually the layout is set up complete long before getting through the first page of writing and photos.

Best way to learn is to go to a steamup and anyone there will be more than willing to help a beginner steamer through all the steps. This is how most of us got our start.

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Posted By David Rose on 01/06/2009 9:04 AM
One more thing.... Always make sure your engines throttle is closed while cooling. When a boiler cools it will create a vacuum that can "pull" oil out of the lube and into the boiler.

David,
Do you not mean 'open' when cooling?
Surely, if it IS closed, it WILL suck in anything it can.
Anyway, I would be more concerned with the possibility of the throttle 'seizing up solid' when cold, and not being sure if it will open next time the loco is used.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Kevin,you are welcome to bring your engine up to Weybridge, where Lllyn Rice and I can go over things with you. However, it sounds like some of the New Hampshire guys might be closer to you.
Any chance you could get away for Cabin Fever in York, PA. on the 17/18th? Bring your engine, and you will return home an expert runner, with possibly more advice than you can absorb in one dose. Llyn and I will be there.

Larry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Posted By Larry Green on 01/07/2009 1:05 PM
Kevin,you are welcome to bring your engine up to Weybridge, where Lllyn Rice and I can go over things with you. However, it sounds like some of the New Hampshire guys might be closer to you.
Any chance you could get away for Cabin Fever in York, PA. on the 17/18th? Bring your engine, and you will return home an expert runner, with possibly more advice than you can absorb in one dose. Llyn and I will be there.

Larry

Larry-
thank you for the invite.  I just might take you up on it.  I just need a time to do so. 
I will not be able to get to Cabin Fever.  too short notice for me and my family...kids in school I never asked for the vaca time at work...you know...

So it looks like you and I are about 2hrs apart...not much for a highway except for rt7.  Maybe we can catch up after Cabin Fever.
I am not sure where all the guys in the NH club live, but Manchester, NH is 2hrs from me as well.
springfield, VT....the center of the universe...2hrs from anywhere

Kevin 

·
Registered
301 Posts
Garry,

As David said, contraction in the boiler can be relieved.  (Some want to leave the throttle open after running, but for another reason: so it will not get stuck in the closed position after cooling. )  Instead of relying on the Goodall valve, maybe you could loosen the H2O filler cap in the cab for a few minutes.  I have done this by accident.

cheers 

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ok, I am starting to get confused with the shut down....
when the boiler is cooling down, it will create a vacuum.  so, I need to leave the throttle open, so that after the vacuum is created, the throttle isnt stuck closed?  If I do this, I should disconnect the fuel hose from the backhead of the boiler correct?

Kevin 

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Posted By David Leech on 01/06/2009 10:21 PM
Posted By David Rose on 01/06/2009 9:04 AM
One more thing.... Always make sure your engines throttle is closed while cooling. When a boiler cools it will create a vacuum that can "pull" oil out of the lube and into the boiler.

David,
Do you not mean 'open' when cooling?
Surely, if it IS closed, it WILL suck in anything it can.
Anyway, I would be more concerned with the possibility of the throttle 'seizing up solid' when cold, and not being sure if it will open next time the loco is used.
All the best,
David Leech,
Delta, Canada

David,

Perhaps leaving both the throttle and the lub drain open until cool down is over is a possible option? I was unaware that throttles 'seize up solid' if you leave them closed while cooling, especially after doing this a few hundred times myself and not experiencing a seizure. I do know that if you leave the throttle open during a cool down, it will suck steam oil in the boiler if there is no other path of 'less' resistance (like a blown down which this engine does not appear to have) for it to pull from.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Barely open the"Throttle"... this is not because you want to releave the vacuum, but to prevent it getting stuck due to thermal expansion/contraction problems. If it were not for the possiblility of the throttle getting stuck it would be recommended to keep it closed so that oil would not be drawn back into the boiler.

Completely open the "Blower"... this releaves the vacuum and helps prevent the suction pulling oil from the steam line through the throttle into the boiler.

The "Fuel Valve" is not of concern in this as it has nothing to do with the content in the boiler.

If you have a water carrying tender connected to the boiler, the vacuum can refill your boiler for you by pulling water from the tender, but if you have opened the blower then it will not get as much water as it would otherwise. But if you close the blower to get more of a refill, and for some reason the water inlet gets closed or clogged (a rare instance), then the boiler might suck oil back through the throttle which is one of the two the bad things to avoid (the other is the stuck throttle).

DO NOT attempt to open a filler port to the boiler if there is any pressure still present as you can blow the cap/plug skyward and scald your hands. Once the pressure is gone you can open it, but managing to open it right between "still has pressure" and "now it is a vacuum" is too much trouble.

Just crack open the throttle a wee bit, open the Blower completely, and spend the time waiting for the engine to cool off by wiping the locomotive down, replenish the steam oil and cogitate on how much fun you just had and will have again!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By rwjenkins on 01/08/2009 4:04 PM
Keep in mind that the AML 0-6-0 is a butane-fired engine and doesn't have a blower.

ACK! I've crossed me threads here... I was think'n about the thread about shutting down an alcohol fire. Sorry.

Still "some" of what I said is fodder for thought. Without a blower to releave the vacuum the problem of sucking oil into the boiler is compounded. Hopefully, the engine in question has some other method to release the vacuum (I don't know anything about the AML 0-6-0 specifically). Either a water intake that can be used to let air or water in, or even a whistle that can release the vacuum would help.

Baring those things, then watching the pressure and opening the fill valve AFTER there is no more pressure will take care of the problem... just make sure there is no pressure left, and that you get it done before the vacuum starts to form.

The amount of oil that is drawn into the boiler is usually not very much and a simple cleaning with soapy water will cut it and remove it if it gets too bad (of course, rinse the soapy water out too!), but it is usually easier to prevent it than to have to fix it.

If the throttle gets stuck shut it will become unstuck the next time the boiler is heated again. It is usually best to not force the stuck throttle open as it could break threads or scar the seat, or worse, snap the shaft.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.