G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I just told him that I must not have been good enough to get it

Nice trick, but how did you turn around and get good enough? [:)]

Make sure to lube all the moving parts

Ordinary oil will do in apinch, but your hardware store should also have 'turbine oil', designed for motor bearings, etc. (The 'etc' = model steam engine axles, rods, etc.)

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
to left of that is the slotted plug/cap tube for oil

As we had a short discussion about oiling, I should point out that this is the reservoir for steam oil - the thick stuff (Royce has some.)  You have to remove water from the bottom of this after every run and make sure it is full before each run.  Your photos show there is a 'drain' under the LH side of the cab, but I can't tell if it is a 'blowdown' (like the C-16, see manual below) or a drain for the steam oil reservoir. 

Water goes in the boiler through the slotted plug/cab in the front center of the boiler.  Remove a little after you fill it completely - and use distilled water in the boiler (your local supermarket probably sells 'steam distilled water'; just the ticket.

You don't need water in the tender around the butane tank unless the weather is very cold or very hot.  A warm water bath will help stabilize the butane temp, but in normal weather you should be OK. 

P.S. Accucraft has a bunch of Manuals online. While I didn't see the 0-6-0 on the list, the C-16 Manual has all the controls photographed and labeled. [The C-16 has the steam oil reservoir under the running board, but operation is the same.]  I think you'll find it very informative.
http://www.accucraft.com/manuals/Manual-C16LS.htmhttp://www.accucraft.com/manuals/Manual-C16LS.htm

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Gas: order from our sponsor Royce along with a filler valve for good price
Until then could use Ronson gas container or find a sporting goods store for 70/30 mix but need a filler valve.

Another minor issue. Accucraft will tell you not to use the 'camping gaz' mentioned by Charles, as the gas tank isn't designed for the higher pressures. However, most of us have done it without incident, and the fuel works fine and is less finicky than pure butane.

The latter is readily available at your local Korean supermarket - they use it for cooking stoves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.