G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry - Can't figure out how to do a poll...

I guess I'll just ask the question .... How many of you run your trains on DC track power using independent throttles? e.g. A/C TE on-board, or LocoLinc on track power.

The poll would have had you choose between these: DCC, Battery Power, Live Steam, Track Power - using independent throttles, Track Power - using block/cab control, Track power - using start/stop sequencing (leap frog).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Del on my indoor layout I run track power, using TE and ultima power supply, but can run my battery power QSI/G-wire Airwire things there also. Outdoors the same I have ability to run track power using TE, Battery power using a trail car with TE, and also QSI/Airwire throttle/g-wire diesel with trailing battery car also. I try to keep the best of all the worlds, so I am not limited to just one type, as I have several different set-ups, and depending on my mood for the day use whatever. Like when it snows use my Airwire/battery on board Norfolk/So. engine to plow off the snow off of my outdoor layout for conveinience. Real simple to just take engine out set on track flip two switches, and off we go a plowin. Summer time when it's not so cold you don't mind taking time to hook up wires, and away ya go with track power. Run engines independantly with my Airwire throttle, and airwire battery setup in one engine and QSI, and g-wire independantly with a trailing battery car for power. The Airwire throttle will conceivably run 9,999 trains independantly from one throttle according to Airwire! I get into trouble with trying to run two-three at a time. But then i'm functionally-disfunctional!!Hee Hee. The Regal

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'll frequently run two train on my mainline at the same time. One on DC and one on battery power. I do have a passing siding blocked off for a third train if I wanted. I also have two different battery set ups one RCS, one TE battery, so I could, theoretically, have four trains on my mainline if I was so talented.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I use two throttles on one loop of my layout. One throttle controls the catenary and the other controls the track. It's the section shown in the little photo below.

G

·
I have to layouts in two different locations, one indoor, one outdoor.

Both started as conventional cab control with DC or PWC on the track which allowed only one independent loco in any given block at a time.

Both layouts have been converted to DCC while retaining all of the original cab control functionality. When in DCC, I just open all the blocks and run trains where ever I want to.

For awhile I tried constant DC on the track with radio receivers in the locos, I was not overly impressed with that system.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
We use simple common rail block control. The railroad is split into 23 blocks and each block can be accessed by any of three wireless track-powered throttles (two TEs and one RCS). Using this method we run seven trains simultaneously on about 600 feet of track. Three run point-to-point, and four run on interconnected loops with two alternating leap-frog-style at the station. Any train can access any point and travel in either direction on the railroad without the hand of God.

Using this simple block-control method we have trains 1) slow and leap-frog at the station, 2) slow and stop at the coaling/fueling/watering facility, mine, west station, and unloading facility, and 3) stop and wait for each other at the 30 degree crossing as necessary so as to avoid collision.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Batteries forever!

You won't look back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used to run 2 trains at once with one throttle...Keep them spaced to begin with and it worked quite well...

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
I converted to DCC a year ago and never looked back. So many possibilities and no big wiring problems. Battery is definitely out as i hate the price you pay for the batteries can get expensive if one has a lot of locos and I can run indefinitely. Don't like waiting on charging either. Later RJD

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
DCC here, when running multiple trains, batteries mean multiple battery packs, which means multiple battery chargers and limited run time. I like running MU'd diesels and doubleheading steamers.

Having my locos speed matched (standard DCC feature) means no limitations in what runs with what.

I'm very happy with my decision.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting responses, but none really answered the question ... Are you really interested in running an independent DC throttle on track power? I am always asked if my products (which are designed for battery power) will work on track power, and I always say no. I assume that those asking the question really mean ... will it work on track power without any modifications to the loco? Well, if you go to the trouble of isolating the motor for and independent control system, why would you not just go to battery power or DCC? So ... How many of you actually run track power with independent throttles like LocoLinc or Aristo on-board TE?

·
Super Modulator
21,214 Posts
The first post is:

Sorry - Can't figure out how to do a poll...

I guess I'll just ask the question .... How many of you run your trains on DC track power using independent throttles? e.g. A/C TE on-board, or LocoLinc on track power.

The poll would have had you choose between these: DCC[/b], Battery Power, Live Steam, Track Power - using independent throttles, Track Power - using block/cab control, Track power - using start/stop sequencing (leap frog).

I submit I answered the "poll" with one of the specified answers.

Regards, Greg

p.s. what is really the difference between:

[*] using DC on the track and an on-board receiver/deocder [*]DCC on the track and an on-board receiver/decoder [*]DC or AC on the track with DCS (MTH) and an on-board receiver/decoder [/list] I think the type of power applied to the track is not the question, but using track power with independent throttles...

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I don't think any one will answer truthfully..or w/o getting their point across.

In all these years I can only think of one place with track power where the guy had (what ever sytem) letting the engines be independant of each other, but he had to keep them on different tracks cause he could not watch them all. I was the only visitor who brought a train that could run with him. all other visitors had stock engines. With the bragging of his layout that he did ,others was very disoppointed.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
It would be nice for all of us to get some clearer cut answers.
Del's question is pretty straightforward and nothing to do with DCC per se.

How many use constant voltage track power with on board R/C units such as Locolinc, On board TE and perhaps QSI/G-wire/AirWire?

Even if I was convinced there were a significant number running like that I doubt I would add a bridge rectifier to the RCS/EVO hardware. However, I too would like to know how many.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Not me. I even use my batteries on track powered layouts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
While it is true battery powers main drawback is the length of runtime between charging...I must admit it really is the way to go...Especially today with the vast improvement in battery technology charging times are as low as 15 minutes and power lasts twice as long at a minimum...With battery power you can run literally anywhere...even on the floor of a motel room with no track... ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts