G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ok sorry for all the replies but was thinking some on the smoke and the velocity looks slower and the stack is smaller which can result in a thicker smoke stream.

Paul, does it look like they are using stainless steel tires on the drivers? Also, do the wheels look like they are die cast metal like the Big Boy? I know they are supposed to.

Very nice how you have the oval overhead like that. Very nicely done.

I think I'm on about the 12th time watching the videos...

Raymond

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
What Ray you dont have yours yet??? that sucks... be sure to post a review on these as im waiting to here what you think about them before i buy one. also you are better off with the 2 axle trucks on the heavyweights as the 3 axle ones tend to derail a lot...
good to see you back posting again. also you were correct on the other thread when you said some others have a agenda. also they tend to cry alot when there always proven wrong. they also say there being attack when in fact it is them trying to attack...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey Nick, LOL I know I know! I've been trying my best to be patient.
I should have mine very soon.

Uggh, but I like the 3 axle.

Will do and in fact we have another train show coming I think on 2/22 so they will make their debut pulling the coal train there. The coal train seems to draw a crowd with the Big Boys & Mallets, we'll see what they think about the Tri's. Can't wait. :) Do you have any train shows coming up?

I think MTH has another winner with this one. I'm probably going to take mine apart to see how it's designed and implement some if not all of the mods I did to my Big Boys just to be on the safe side. I'll let you know what I find, hopefully I will have nothing but good news to report. Really been encouraged about what I'm seeing and hearing so far.

Thanks, it's good to be back posting some. I've been working some major overtime the last couple of weeks so I haven't had much time to read or post. Hope work stays steady for you (and everyone else here too), it's pretty scary out there.

I do hope things eventully settle down here.

Paul, is there some sort of weight transfer spring/suspension between the top of the front engine set and the bottom of the boiler so the front drivers have more weight on them?

Raymond

·
Registered
938 Posts
Posted By Paul A. Torrey on 02/04/2009 4:39 AM
Yes, you will need at least version 4.0 to activate the quillible whistle and steam whistle features.

I'm telling you this is the most impressive engine I have to date. The electronics combined with the unusual nature of the engine itself makes it an unbelievable model. I've run mine around 9' dia track and have not had any problems with the unit. The overhang on the boiler over the pilot is not as pronounced as the Big Boy or Challenger. The unit is around 35# and tracks very well. No hesitation on my units as the quartering on all three powered drivers appears to be perfect. Under DCS contoll you will be amazed. For the money you can't beat MTH's products. They have raised the bar to a new level (that no one else wants to touch).

Good job Mike.....

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

I think that's why the engine has been such a good seller in O guage, it's such an unusual engine and kinda exudes power. Listening to that quillable whistle may be enough to get me to upgrade all my existing engines to the new Protosound 2+/3. I'm betting the quil feature really puts the icing on the cake as far as user experience goes.

Also, did you guys hear what MTH just announced in HO scale, the N&W J class and the UP9000(4-12-2)! The 9000 must have been one heck of a good seller in O for them to roll that out in HO... I mean they only just released it in O gauge. I'm really going to be interested to see what they announce in the April 2009 One Gauge catalog. Just maybe....

Link to the news release:
http://www.mthhotrains.com/news.asp

Raymond

·
Registered
47 Posts
RE: MTH Triplex signed as "shipped"

Ray,

I hope you're not wearing out the videos. I'm going to try and post a new video today with my coal cars running on my family room layout. I'm going to use a higher quality digital setting on my camera to see if that gives a little more clarity too.

To answer your questions. The speaker is in an enclosure in the tender. I actually disassembled that on the first day to check out the smoke unit which is mounted in the spot where the backup light is on the BB.

The 3 axle heavyweights are Aristo Craft cars. I have 3 sets of 6 cars. UP, NYC and DRG. I use them a lot when running outside or at our club layout. I've never had a derailing problem with their units. And not all the cars have 3 axles. Two cars have 2 axles.

Yes, the Tripex's wheels are cast with a SST tire (or I'm assuming they're SST). They appear to be of the same quality as the BB. I just wish they would paint the pony truck wheels. I guess I'll just paint them black like I did with the Challenger and BB.

Yes there is a weight transfer mechanism on the lead set of drivers. Looks to be more complex than the BB. There is an arm with spring to keep the boiler nose level with the drivers. As far as I can see it is doing the job very well. One point here. You will need to make sure you are carrying this unit with one hand under the front drivers as I'm afraid if you don't, you'll break a lot of details and cause undo stress on the points that hold the drivers to the boiler shell. What I do is just push it on to a wooden carrier that my father-in-law built for my big engines. That way I'm not handling the unit (which can be awkward) chancing some mistake and breaking something. Just be careful with this.

One more point I want to let you know. I think I discovered the issue with the smoke unit in the boiler. When looking down the stack, I can only see about a quarter of the smoke unit exhaust pipe. I tried to see if I could move it with a small screw driver but it is mounted very tightly. I'll have to take the boiler apart and see if I can move the unit up towards the smokebox door about 1/4". I'm sure I'm getting more smoke inside the boiler than out. I'm probably loosing smoke fluid when I go to add it in the smokestack too.

If I take this apart today, I'll try to take some pictures and post them.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I can understand the excitement:

Paul, the 3'rd video where the Triplex is being demod at the club I see it travelling through what shows as "tight curves"...

Can I ask with radius/diameter they were?

Regards,

gg

·
Registered
47 Posts

GG,

The min diameter on our club layout is 12'. My inside layout is 8' diameter and it has no problem going through that. 8' dia is the absolute min.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
8 FEET !!! wow.....

My soon to come outdoor layout can handle that !!!

Make my day!

Thanks for the feedback...

gg

PS: can I ask what a UP heavyweight means? ( United Parcel Bubba type delivery lad????)

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Amazing... I need to have a chat with Jim..... ( Ray knows what I speak of here)

The cell phone call coming in during the conversation made me laugh re "did the engineer have this technology in those days"

The rolling stock that I see in the video ... is it 1:32 or 1:29?

·
Registered
47 Posts

It's a good thing you couldn't see my face when that phone went off. It never fails.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great video, thanks for posting Paul. It's helping with the cravings. ;)

Don't blame you Gavin. The only question is do you want the all black Erie, All black Virginian (this model is modeled after the Erie version) or the Russian blue boilered Erie? Here is the other thread on the Triplex and there is a photo on page three of the final version with the blue they are going to use. It's not going to be as light a baby blue as the original prototype.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/4/tpage/3/view/Topic/postid/22949/Default.aspx

Raymond

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Erie Russian Blue....

Need to speak with the CFO re additional bond offerings to cover this off.

gg

·
Registered
938 Posts
Posted By GG on 02/08/2009 12:32 PM
8 FEET !!! wow.....

My soon to come outdoor layout can handle that !!!

Make my day!

Thanks for the feedback...

gg

PS: can I ask what a UP heavyweight means? ( United Parcel Bubba type delivery lad????)

LOL Union Pacific heavyweights. They are Union Pacific passenger cars and the type of car is called a 'heavyweight' because back at that point in time many if not all used a slab of 6" of concrete and all steel to weigh the car down which resulted in them being very heavy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_carriage - see Heavyweight vs lightweight section

Raymond

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Ray, I've read, understand and have bookmarked this interesting page for future perusal.

And yes, emails flying back and forth between Jim and I...

Life is too short to worry about CFO's. Do I live to work or do I work to live?

gg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Gents,

Time moves quickly and so I must as well....

The TRIPLEX acquisition has been made..... The following is a cut'n paste from an email that I sent and happened a few minutes ago...

Needs to be shared I say !

"I will not afford my luxurious Pacific villa anymore (was sold for 1 penny on a 30 mortage) as a triplex has just been ordered from Jim...

CFO says that there will be a deficit... ( I have yet to inform her... )

However, the triplex, poor to design will be designated as a pusher to the glorious Hudson that will lead the procession along a bank of tortuous 8'
curves up Mount Kilamajero...

If you believe that then I have some great real estate in Florida that you need to look at.

gg "

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I know... sounds like a very aggressive program however after full evaluation of the various technologies, support capabilities, and the protocol of the scale size I figure that this would be a logical approach given that the hobby we're in does not have "dealerships" around the corner.

And basically this is very much a personal thing and am waiting for PS3 with "stereo" sound.

If you believe that then......

gg

PS: I am developing plans for DCC and Massoth... however .... priorities must be set... room for both..

41 - 60 of 303 Posts