G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
RJ, Im really starting to get the shakes, this looks like a winner with all these features, nobody can touch this wow
heres some pictures from Paul. Yes i want one!!!!! no i dont!!!!! yes i do!!!! no i dont!!!!!
what to dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?????????????????????

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
AWESOME!!

Raymond, will I need to upgrade my handheld and/or TIU to v4 software to use the new sound/smoke features?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, you will need at least version 4.0 to activate the quillible whistle and steam whistle features.

I'm telling you this is the most impressive engine I have to date. The electronics combined with the unusual nature of the engine itself makes it an unbelievable model. I've run mine around 9' dia track and have not had any problems with the unit. The overhang on the boiler over the pilot is not as pronounced as the Big Boy or Challenger. The unit is around 35# and tracks very well. No hesitation on my units as the quartering on all three powered drivers appears to be perfect. Under DCS contoll you will be amazed. For the money you can't beat MTH's products. They have raised the bar to a new level (that no one else wants to touch).

Good job Mike.....

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Paul!

I will look up the manual.
I have not upgraded the systems before.
...I seem to remember something about holding a button in for 7 minutes which my finger isn't looking forward to! hehe....

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
my understanding is this model was to have a remote dcs controled coupler ...... does it ? how well does it work ? and can you take a picture ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scott,

Yes this does have the remote contolled (rear) coupler. Just like the Big Boy. It works fine. I'll attempt to email you a picture of it tonight.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

·
Registered
938 Posts
FYI, official word from MTH is that the smoke unit smoke coming from the boiler should not be happening. Smoke should only be coming from the smoke stack and whistle when activated. I would either take a look inside the engine or tote it back to your MTH dealer and have him look at it. I think there may be a smoke channel pipe loose or something.

Raymond

·
Registered
47 Posts
RE: MTH Triplex signed as "shipped"

Ray,

Thanks for checking for me. I'm like you, pretty good at repairs and not afraid to take my engines apart. This only requires 8 screws removed from the boiler to take it apart. I'll take a look at it this weekend when I have some daylight and time to review. In a way I do like the effect. I still get smoke out the stack but maybe it's being restricted or misdirected from within. I'll advise.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Looking pretty nice, Paul! Hope to see your videos soon!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was able to put three videos out on Google Video today. The first two links are on my elevated layout in the Family Room of our house. The third link is at our clubs layout at Burdick's Drivers Village in Cicero, NY.

Ray, just a word. The skates on this engine are just like the Bigboy. You will probably have issues going through turnouts as I noticed sparking when my engine went through the turnouts at our layout today. I also couldn't get many of the sound functions to work because our layout is constructed with SST track and it just doesn't conduct as well as brass. But you'll get the idea of how this beauty works by seeing the videos.

At least the first two you can see and hear the whistles. Very impressive.

Thanks,

Paul Torrey

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6144098222985584983&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=198511631997243520&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9194952236222783099&hl=en

·
Registered
938 Posts
Holy crap is that sweet!!!
The quillable whistle sounds fantastic and it sounds like that new 2mb sound file has afforded even better sound quality. WOW!! One thing I keyed on was just how smooth that engine ran at startup, it does look like they got the quartering perfect on it. Thanks for sharing Paul cant wait to get mine!

Raymond

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just saw the second video. So the smoking whistle has three levels of smoke output depending on the level of audio quil? That is outstanding.

Thanks for the heads-up too. I'll work them over some before putting it to work. I've come to the conclusion that for indoor setups for DCS, brass is the way to go so you can get away with not having to have the feeders and have less issue with the signal. I'm in the process of buying brass track for indoor setups for shows here in KC.

Thanks again for sharing the videos, it's really neat to see a triplex running on a layout in G scale. When I first got in the hobby back in 2004 I never thought I would see the day when one would be on the market at all, let alone for $1000.

Raymond

·
Registered
938 Posts
My guess is maybe not enough or too much fluid in the front? (of course I doubt Paul put too much in) I wonder how they are powering the heating elements of both? Maybe they are using only two elements in the front unit and one in the back. (they usually use three total) We've already determined there is some smoke unit piping that is leaking smoke in the boiler so that might have something to do with it as well.

Raymond

·
Registered
938 Posts
Paul,

Where is the speaker mounted, at the back end of the tender? And this is silly question but, that back engine set is powered correct?

I'm very impressed. I can't believe we now have a smoking and quillable whistle.

Raymond

21 - 40 of 303 Posts