G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have seen the TIU and controller many times but have never seen the Protosound decoder, does anyone have any pics of it and the optical reader so I know what I am dealing with as far as installing it? Maybe put a dime next to it so I can judge the size? Is the optical reader attached to the decoder and are the control and sound decoders 2 seperate entities? Thanks for the info guys, you have really clarified several things for me.

-Will

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Will,

I had my Hudson open last weekend, sorry I didn't take pics. I am opening my Triplex in a while and will grab some shots.

The sensor is mounted at the 12 o'clock slot over the flywheel off the motor and in plain view. Interesting.

Have you checked Ray's site for info?

gg

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Posted By Engineercub on 03/11/2009 2:46 PM
I have seen the TIU and controller many times but have never seen the Protosound decoder, does anyone have any pics of it and the optical reader so I know what I am dealing with as far as installing it? Maybe put a dime next to it so I can judge the size? Is the optical reader attached to the decoder and are the control and sound decoders 2 seperate entities? Thanks for the info guys, you have really clarified several things for me.

-Will

There is 2 boards that being a top & bottom board but they're integrated into one.
The optical reader is remote, by that I mean it has a set of wires that plug into the PS2 board.
Using a optical reader with a striped tape is old technology closed loop motor control that's been around for a long time, best example that I can think of off-hand is a record player that had the dots spinning by on the turntable. In fact Lionel has started using a optical reader to control their motors in O Gauge trains
As far as different scales being DCS'd and playing together nicely it's not really a problem, it just depends on what you want your trains to do.
Have you read the MTH DCS PS2 Upgrade manual that's included with every PS2 Upgrade kit?? It's available online at Protosound2

Here's a pic of my USA Trains 1:29 Hudson that I DCS'd and it runs the same SMPH as my 1:32 MTH Hudson, Big Boy, Challenger etc.
Oh and MTH has the SMPH thing patented.

·
Super Modulator
20,885 Posts
There's an amazing amount of wires there, is it interconnections between boards? The 2 larger bundles have tons of wires, where do they go?

I'd love to see a wiring diagram.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
259 Posts

Here is a picture of the DCS board that was installed in my Bachmann Annie. Hope this helps.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
MTH will probably go after the BNSF Royalty on Model Trains lawsuit against manufacturers since no other manufacturer has the gonads to fight it themselves.

MTH will settle it for all manufacturers just like MTH did with the Union Pacific..

41 - 47 of 47 Posts