G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one set me straight on this? I've been interested in MTH for a while now but have always been turned off by the proprietary operating system.

I keep reading that MTH is going to be "DCC compatible." Does anyone know what that means, exactly? Will you be able to run the full DCS feature set using DCC commands? Or will it just be a more basic iteration--forward/reverse/speed?

Does anyone know a realistic date for the release?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
the problem I see with mike making his locos work with dcc is that stanard dcc only has 13 fuctions and his system has like 26 or 28 or something like that .....

but I would think we would get more then just make it move .....

last i heard it was going to start at the end of the year ...... but I think each listing will say if it is dcc complaint

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
My 2 cents...

I decided to go with DCS despite my concerns with being restricted with this technology. As I understand it the DCS platform is based on software. As long as MTH is around, software upgrades will be there via the internet. My conclusion is that it will be the software that will help with the ability to command a DCC loco yes?

Or would there be a need for upgrading the board on DCC locos?

I really don't know..

gg

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GG this is what I'm wondering too. A while ago I thought hardabout switching to all MTH because I like 1:32, and it seemed like a great system but I already had a bunch of stuff that would be rendered useless if I went to DCS. If there's some degree of cross-compatibility MTH looks much more interesting

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Lownote, I see room for both systems. Nothing is going to waste. Simply choose the system based on the plans for the day.

So, if I'm cutting the grass or just gardening and need a train to meander around the track while I'm out there... DCC

Garden party or friends: DCS for its enhanced capabilities. Both DCS and DCC locos can run on the same track if the voltage is kept between 10 and 20 volts.

My triplex will run normally at 10 volts.

Bye the way, The DCS remote that I have will run DCC locos in conventional mode. Just select it. I don't know yet about the bells and whistles yet...

My remote will even "record" all actions on the remote for up to 90 minutes, save it and play back the recording at will. What this means is that I set my plans for the recording session.... bells, whistles, switches etc..... record it... then when the guests are over ..... I entertain... and the system "plays back".

gg

PS: I'm counting on the DCS guru's to validate my studies and conclusions here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By fildowns on 02/22/2009 12:10 PM
Good theory there Gavin!

I'm waiting for the official word on my theory which most of comes from the IMI.... The practical DCS buffs need to comment here

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Well you had alot of it rite till you got tot the 10 volt thing, you need at least 18 to mantain proper running and thats the bare minamum 24 volt would be best,plus the hand held at this point will not control any dcc function...

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By Nicholas Savatgy on 02/22/2009 2:06 PM
Well you had alot of it rite till you got tot the 10 volt thing, you need at least 18 to mantain proper running and thats the bare minamum 24 volt would be best,plus the hand held at this point will not control any dcc function...

Good feedback here. I reviewed the video which had defined comments on the 10 volt bit. And the ability for the handheld to run a DCC type loco on conventional. I think that what your're saying is that in "real life" it is best to keep the two separate yes?

gg

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
MTH ProtoSound 3 is DCC compatible as the HO guys have been using it for over a year now.

As of now in Large Scxale their is only ProtoSound 2 but Dave Kriebel (the inventor of DCS) of MTH stated last October at the TCA Eastern Division York. Pa Meet that Protosound 3 will be available in the RailKing One Gauge lineup by the end of 2009.

Here's the MTH spec's for ProtoSound 3.0..

Already Have A DCC System?

Proto-Sound 3.0 equipped locomotives can be controlled in command mode with any DCC compliant command control system. While the user won't have access to all of the incredible features of Proto-Sound 3.0, independent control over the locomotive is possible. This means you can continue to use your existing DCC controller to independently control your other DCC equipped locomotives in addition to your Proto-Sound 3.0 locomotive on the same track at the same time.

When using a DCC controller, the following Proto-Sound 3.0 locomotive features are accessible: [*](F0) Headlight on/off [*](F1) Bell on/off [*](F2) Whistle/Horn on/off [*](F3) Start-up/Shut-down [*](F4) PFA initiate and advance [*](F5) Cab Light on/off [*](F6) Engine Sounds on/off [*](F7) Volume low, med, high, off [*](F8) Smoke on/off [*](F9) Forward Signal Sound [*](F10) Reverse Signal Sound [*](F11) Coupler Slack Sound [*](F12) One-Shot Doppler on/off [*](F13) Extended Start Up [*](F14) Extended Shut Down [*](F15) Labor Chuff [*](F16) Drift Chuff [*](F17) Smoke Volume low, med, high [*](F18) Single short whistle toot [*](F19) Coupler Close [*](F20) Feature Reset [*](F21) Idle Sequence 1 [*](F22) Idle Sequence 2 [*](F23) Idle Sequence 3 [*](F24) Idle Sequence 4 [*](F25) Brakes auto/off [*](F26) Cab Chatter auto/off [*](F27) Clickety-Clack auto/off [*](F28) Train Wreck [/list]

·
Super Modulator
20,854 Posts
My NCE controller does all 28 functions... wired and wireless (I use wired cabs in the switchyard)...

So what functions will I miss that are beyond 28?

(Also the NCE cab, with more dedicated function buttons, should actually be easier to use, since you have between 10-13 at a time with a single button press)

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Sooo, DCC allows control of a DCS loco...

If one has DCS to start, what control is available for DCC locos?

In other words, If I purchase one of these fiesty DCC beasts, can I control it with my DCS system???

Stirring up the pot I say..

So far, I really need Massoth to have the best of all worlds.

gg

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Posted By lownote on 02/22/2009 4:21 PM
It's hard for me to imagine you could run the two system s at the same time without trouble, but maybe I'm wrong.

Well Lownote given the comments I suspect you are right. The only way to find out is for me to test the system. I will have MTH on board in a couple of weeks and yes... I have my Flagship LGB xmas DC Loco....

I will experiment and report back over time.

"Going where no train has gone before"

I had better stock up on fuses yes?

gg

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
You guys have it almost completely correct. But not quite.

Protosound 2.0 will not run a DCC engine. If you own a large scale locomotive from MTH, its PS 2 equipped and will not be command controllable from a DCC system. When Protosound 3 boards come out later this year, they will be DCC compatible. That will mean you will be able to control the MTH locomotive with a DCC system. You will have access to the first 28 things the locomotive can do. See above for the list. (Greg - even the old engines like a Hudson have 50 or so distinct sound or light features. Every one is controllable from the remote. Another example is newer engines have a remote coupler that is controlled by the remote)
To get Protosound 3 in any locomotive you own now means you will take the PS 2 board out and replace it. It is not going to be a software upgrade.

PS 3.0 is not polarity sensitive. I guess that is better for some people. It will make it easier to find and load engines I suppose. You will be able to have reverse loops that are run exactly like DCC does now. (instead of having to wire them like LGB analog systems)

Another almost correct isssues. You absolutely can run your Proto 2 equipped locomotive under full DCS controll at 10v. In fact you can run it at any voltage up to 24v. There is only one thing that is affected by lower input voltage, and it isn't the sound or the smoke. Its the highest speed the locomotive can run at. I have run my hudson inside for 100s of hours off a 10 dollar 13v 3 amp radio shack DC power supply. The locomotive can not go faster than about 35 scale miles per hour. Sure, you can set the remote to 150 sMPH, but the loco will chugg along at whatever top end is limited to by the voltage potential. Everything else works exactly the same as if you had 24v input. My engines have a minimum start up voltage of about 7v. LGB digital sound locos typically started up around 6v or so. I actually run BOTH at the same time, on the same track all the time. I control the LGB engine by varing the voltage using the LGB throttle. I control the MTH using DCS. (both use the same power supply, the TIU is between the throttle and the track) Its easy, and the system was actually designed to do this. (or so I was told all those years ago)
Outdoors, I do the very same thing, except I use a much more powerfull power supply.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I might have missed it but the MTH engines have a huge number of sound, lighting, etc. effects. There are more than 28 by my count. Most sound effects play automatically. With DCS you could reach them all with the more softkey if desired and move them around making your favorites for each engine easy to get. I believe that the new dcc boards are fixed functions or will they be mapable like the dcs moves? How could you reach the rest of the functions to move them? With DCS for example, I usually put the forward, reverse, and grade horn sounds first on the remote for ease of use. Each engine has some unique ones that are specific to the engine. Manually raise and lower pentographs on an electric for example. The only things I miss are the longer acc/ dec rates achievable with DCC. Joe

1 - 20 of 47 Posts