G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MTH Santa Fe Yellow Warbonnets with Protosound 2!!
Nice job as usual MTH!!
These are the second locomotive shipment that I have received that have the new 2mb chip for sound and the sound is fanastic, esp. the horn.
Sorry that I don't have a video to post but maybe in the near future!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks like I'm the first to say I'm jealous. Very nice looking, and I can't wait to hear them under load with DCS. Joe

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Always loved the yellow and bluebonnets. Definitely a different color scheme...I can remember seeing an archive video somewhere (in color) of a 5-up of F units with a yellowbonnet on the front.

I must say I am impressed with MTH's quality in Ga1, it is on par with the reigning champs in 1:29, but still durable enough to be run and not worry about breaking something.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Nice! It really surprises me they come out with some of these more unique paint scheme, but I think it's really great.

Looks like she handles like a dream... can stop it on a dime.

How quiet are the MTH diesel motorblocks? Are the quiet like the USA Trains ones? Quieter/louder? The look perfectly smooth at the slower speeds.

Does this engine come with protocouplers that you can trigger open with the remote?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ryan, I agree with you about being rugged enough to run outdoors!!

Raymond, You know when the motorblocks are opened up they look just a USA block...right down to having the brass rods that direct power!

Yep they have the operatng remote controlled Proto-Couplers but only one is installed on the trailing A unit. A scale non-functiong knuckle kuppler, ooops I mean coupler is installed on the leading A unit.

I forgot to mention that the S.F's are a F-7 and have a headlight & a operating mars light that goes bright & dim..not that goofy 2 bulb thing that another mfg. decided to put on their S.F. E units.

They also have green markers on the lead A and red on the trailing A, Proto-Smoke in each A unit, lighted interiors which are directional, engineer & fireman figures and mounting pads for Kadee couplers.

I also ordered another B unit from our buddy Jim last week as I really like the looks of a ABBA consist!!

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
They sure look great.
I just wish MTH had gone ahead and made their range available without the DCS system for those that want to use something else.
They did announce that they were going to a couple of years ago, then cancelled. What a pity.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It's real easy to put something else in just like any other loco. For battery users there are two main power wires to tap/pull just like all the other mfgs and if you want your own sound just cut the wires from the speaker and add your own sound card. If you are using track power and just want your own control board, just tap those same two power wires.

Unfortunately, regardless what any manufacturer does there will be people that want something else.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tony, If you ever remove the MTH PS2 electronics I'm sure that a few folks on here would be willing to take them off your hands for a few $$$...

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Posted By Chucks_Trains on 01/04/2009 8:11 AM
Tony, If you ever remove the MTH PS2 electronics I'm sure that a few folks on here would be willing to take them off your hands for a few $$$...

Chuck,
Conversely, if someone who wants just the MTH PS2 electronics removed said electronics from the MTH locos and offered the locos sans electronics, I am sure there are folks here willing to take the locos for a few $$$...

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ummm. Ok. Well actually no need to strip down an engine for just the electronics as you can order the PS2 electronic kits directly from MTH or an authorized dealer and it includes all the incandescent and LED lights you need. :)

Brings up a good point as everyone may not be aware of that.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
See Raymond, there is often a simple answer to even the most complex questions.

I still would prefer to buy MTH "WITHOUT" the MTH electronics. MTH advertised that they planned doing so, but then went back on it. Pity.
I know of lots of LS'ers who would then buy MTH.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Understood Tony and sometimes not.

I recall we've discussed this before in other threads and as was said before, no one said what you want is wrong it's just unfortunately not the way it worked out. I would prefer that they DID offer them WITHOUT the electronics for folks like yourself, but MTH decided that it wasn't worth the extra cost and financial risk to double the inventory cost of their what was brand new engine product lines. So as alway, it comes down to a choice and how badly you want the engines they produce running on your layout. You've chosen to not own any of their engines solely because they have preinstalled a sound and control board. There is nothing wrong with that and is your right and choice and MTH has heard you by not getting your $.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Posted By Rayman4449 on 01/03/2009 8:26 PM
ABBA will be sweet.

So I guess they are using plastic gears then. (All their steamers have all metal gears.)

Raymond

Nope, They're all metal...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Posted By TonyWalsham on 01/04/2009 3:22 PM
See Raymond, there is often a simple answer to even the most complex questions.

I still would prefer to buy MTH "WITHOUT" the MTH electronics. MTH advertised that they planned doing so, but then went back on it. Pity.
I know of lots of LS'ers who would then buy MTH.

I beleive MTH decided to use there system because they felt it was the best system out there for there product, and as they use it in all there other scales i think it was a no brainer... Mth must have made the rite desission because most of what they make sells out pritty quick, so im sure there are plenty of well satified mth customers i know im sold on there command control sound and smoke system that why i pay to have my 1/29th locos converted to this system 2nd to none in my opion... even though i dont own any of there engines only because there 1/32 th scale and i do 1/29th but i bet you that the other manufactures would love to sell out of there engines as QUICK AS MTH does. i do believe that there next upgrade to the board will allow DCC users to use dcs so maybe sometime in the future if MTH deems battery power worthy of there product im sure they will include some type of plug to hook up a battery car... who knows what the future will bring...

Nick

1 - 20 of 46 Posts