G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never being a big fan of white painted tires I finally got around to removing the white paint on all the wheels. (I think they're too much of a visual distraction from the overall appearance of the engine.) Thought I share what the engine looks like afterwards in case someone else is considering doing the same.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Ray to me it makes a heck of an improvement. I have never liked white painted drivers. Nice job. Later RJD

·
Registered
103 Posts
HAHAHAA!! I was just contemplating posting Q on the best way of painting white tyres as I want to add it to a couple of my engines! For that 'freshly shopped excursion' look!

I guess put it on rollers...slow speed....several thin layers rather than one smudgy thick one eh?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Well then finish the job...paint the rims black (never would have had bare metal outside rims).

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, ok so I'm alone then... ;)

Phil, I thought of you when I was posting this as I know you like the white tires on the drivers. As far as painting a white strip, for the outside of the tire I would say the only way to get a nice clean line would be to use modelers masking tape as I did with my mallet... and to protect the inside driver and get a precise clean line.... boy I don't know.

I actually considered painting the tires on the MTH Big Boys but I couldn't see a real precise way to, match the paint, paint them without brush marks, getting paint on the tires, etc. There is a slim change I will ever attempt it. So Charles how are you painting your tires black?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Raymond
Though I do "paint" in somewhat an artist way (as Jerry can attest too...) Ryan does the wheels on our locomotives. He painted our GS4 wheels black as well as GS4 with white walls tires. Having the entire wheel black is a realistic look relative to the "toy look" of having the stainless show. I'll post a before and after photo later today(in fact given that we just finish a white wall job- post all 3 versions). The high quality enamel paint works well. With the white wall, not tape or masking is necessary just a quality paint and good brush- the surface will guide you along. So, do not be timid, do it. You can always remove any mistake....

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I agree with the look of having the stainless show. I wouldn't dare touch my USA T Big Boy but I know I'd sure like the look of the tires painted black on my MTH ones. Overall though the GS-4 in this case look pretty good already cause they really blacked the metal on these. Would be nice to have them completely black though.

What would be important to me is to match the tone of black and the sheen. To date I haven't had the time to mess with it, maybe sometime I'll give it a shot. Look forward to the photos.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Ray
I think some time I need to head down your way and help you drywall those areas behind the locos.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL I know the trash bags look... well... kinda trashy. ;)" src="http://www.mylargescale.com/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wink.gif" align="absMiddle" border="0" /> Only reason I put them up was for smoke unit videos.

I've thought about adding some insulation sheets but the tracks are so close to the wall I don't have much room at all to spare. I may consider puttin some really thin sheets and painting them black.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Ray
A photo to indicate that painting tires can be achieved (white, no paint, all black BTW- note the rods on the top retrofit/rehab ongoing):

Please note that the bottom is the Aster model that does not have the gloss application on any portions of paint.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate the photos.

Phil, I think as far as how to apply I think your right, either on it's side running or on rollers. I'd probably opt for the on the side.

My GS-4s already look good but I might just try a driver on one of the MTH Big Boys and see how it comes out. I have some semi-gloss tamiya acrylic that might work well.

Just got done reassembling the GS-4 after airbrushing the smokebox and fireboxes black. (same as I did with the Daylight GS-4 except I didn't do the firebox on it yet. It reached 64 degrees here today which allowed me to get it done.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Usually I put the loco in my cradle and apply power to the loco and then touch the paint brush to the areas I want to paint. Later RJD

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I do my MTH Big Boys, I think that's how I'll do mine. Should be able to steady my hand better with it on it's side as opposed to straight up on and down.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but when I was out in the Northwest and saw the real American Freedom Train GS-4, it had white painted driver tires. The Daylight version had black tires on the drivers, but had a white star on the center of each axel.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Bob
As with all productions and shop paint jobs there are many variations. As the photos in the book, SP Daylights by Church show there are many GS4's in service without the star on the driver. In fact on page 121 there is an indication that SP stopped wheel painting due to road grime. In the book less that 50% of the GS4 pictures confirm the star on the wheels pages 118-126. Again, most engines had different paint accents: small letter of SP Lines, black trim on the headlight/markerlight, different Daylight insignia on the skirts, and so on.....

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At least at one point the stars were painted on the center of the axle on those engines that used friction bearings. Those that had roller bearings weren't supposed to have them. However the GS-6 in St. Louis is supposed to have roller bearings and does have stars painted on the drivers so I'm not sure what the story is there... It may not be roller bearing but my info was that all GS-6s were.

Raymond

1 - 20 of 28 Posts