G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the first run of my new(to me) MTH Challenger. It is #3977 which is the one in the park at North Platte, NE. I've been to that one and taken lots of pictures of it and I like passenger trains. So when I had a chance to get it, I also picked up 4 MTH passenger cars. Need to get some people in them though. Think I'll paint the seats, while I have it open.

I have a set of the smoke deflectors on order.

It should look nice at night, during the summer!

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Jerry

Outstanding acquisition both the locomotive and cars. I particular am fond of the greyhound scheme on the Challenger.

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Jerry, I know that MTH is normally very true to 1:32, but the cars look shorter than 80 foot... are they scale length and it's just the camera?

Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
Thanks Jerry that jives with the pix... guess they decided to model shorter cars, just like Aristo did with their heavyweights.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the shorter cars, not as much overhang on my 20' curves and I don't have a big layout, so fits in better. Just my thoughts anyway. My streamliner cars I made years ago for my FA's are shorter also. I did that on purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Looking good Jerry. Try some of the USAT people to install in the cars. Should look about right and they are about $10 package of 7 Later RJD

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a bunch of those Chinese made figures. Used them in the Zephyer and they looked fine. I did use some USA ones before, had forgotten about them, oh well...I see the prices on ebay are like 3-4 times that $10 price RJ!

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I still have it, even made a dome car from one of the UP cars. MTH never made a dome car. Cut down a USA dome part I got. I have all of the MTH steamers now, except the Triplex(does not appeal to me). Picked up the F3 Santa Fe and some cars for them , also a dash 8. They Daylight I found(through Richard) I lucked out and MTH reissued them this year, so got a set for it, love it's whistle. All have great smoke and sound-which comes with it, so no need to buy that.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts