G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

First time posting on any large scale fourm impressively enough, But thought my current project may be of interest. I'm working on building a 1/2" scale fully operational electric model of the Mt Washington Cog's "Ammonoosuc" as it's appeared for the last 20 years or so

Below I've included some photos of the nearly complete tender, Just awaiting Decals from Del at GScaleGraphics, need to do little more brass work, paint frames then wait for cast brass wheels from Shapeways. Body is all 2mm Plastruct styrene and 1mm ABS for the coal wall with 3D printed ABS corners and water filler caps, frame is all silver bearing soldered K&S brass. Once the tender is complete I'll move onto the Loco which isn't far away now.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Rectangle
Waste containment Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Shipping box
Wood Font Landscape Metal Soil

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
482 Posts
Oh wow!!! This is excellent work! As a life-long New Hampshire resident I certainly approve!
You mentioned the engine is to be electrically operated...do you plan on building a rack railway for it as well? If so...indoors/outdoors?

Thanks so much for sharing this! Made my day to see this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow!!! This is excellent work! As a life-long New Hampshire resident I certainly approve!
You mentioned the engine is to be electrically operated...do you plan on building a rack railway for it as well? If so...indoors/outdoors?

Thanks so much for sharing this! Made my day to see this.
Haha thank you! Living in northern Vt the Mt Washington Cog is the nearest place I can go to see running Steam locos so i'm quite fond of it, and yeah I do plan to build a stretch of outdoor track eventually for this to run on which should be quite fun.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Great start
Here is the live steam build I did a while back. It may be of some help
I think I still have some CAD drawings I could send to you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great start
Here is the live steam build I did a while back. It may be of some help
I think I still have some CAD drawings I could send to you

Thanks! I did actually find your thread several months ago, and It certainly helped to know I'm not the only one crazy enough to try and build on of the Mt Wash Cog locos haha

I'm good on the CAD front, Currently working on the undercarriage of the loco today, but I do appreciate the offer
Product Font Line Rectangle Software

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished the CAD design today for all the running gear and sent the frames, spur gears, and pushrods off for Laser Cutting in brass. The Cylinders will be Resin 3D printed and the Wheels and Cranks will be Shapeways metal.
Product Font Screenshot Motor vehicle Rectangle

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tender wheels came from shapeways today, and very pleased with them. Don’t even need machining as they are near perfectly round with less then a thousandth of an inch runout which is more then fine.

Need to cut longer axles as I accidentally made the first pair too short, but did a test with my insulation technique. Just paint for these and the tender is done.
Gold Yellow Amber Automotive tire Wheel

Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haven’t added to this in a while due to nothing to show, but now I sort of do. Tender is officially complete now and I had a friend print me the cylinders on his high detail resin printer. (First locomotive parts!) Also purchased a motor for the loco.

I’m still waiting on the laser cut brass frames that have gotten a bit delayed due to unrelated issues at Ponoko’s end but they should be here next week and cast brass cranks & wheels by New Years from shapeways.

All going to plan a motorized locomotive chassis will be done and rolling by mid January.
Wheel Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire Asphalt
Passive circuit component Circuit component Drinkware Capacitor Glass bottle

Motor vehicle Grass Gas Landscape Recreation

Finger Gas Engineering Household hardware Thumb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts