G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mt Redoubt, to the immediate southwest of Anchorage appears ready to blow at any time. The last eruption was in 1989. It nearly took down a KLM jet which flew into the volcanic ash.
Because I have a flight scheduled out of the Anchorage airport early Tuesday morning I am monitoring this event with great interest.
This is a webcam shot. It should renew itself over time since the image is regularly updated.

Location of Mt Redoubt relative to Anchorage.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The local volcano observatory site has been overloaded and is shut down. Meanwhile the frequency and intensity of quakes associated with this 10,000 + foot volcano has increased markedly even in the last 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Posted By Dave F on 01/30/2009 2:26 PM
Can Sarah Palin see Mt Redoubt from her house?

Actually,yes: Definitely from her office which is in downtown Anchorage. Her home at Big Lake is in a direct line with the volcano in what would be an unobstructed view although I suspect the trees around the lake block an immediate view. BUT she WILL see the plume when it begins.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I was in Portland Oregon when Mt ST Helles went off. It was something to see. I have several news paper articals abou it and a book.

The other thing that facinates me to no end is the sinking of the TITANIC. I think I have read every book and seen every movie/documentary on the TITANTIC.

About 10 yeras ago I was in potrland and made a trip up to the Interpative center for Mt ST Hellens. Sure was interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see that the current webcam view of Mt Redoubt has become clouded. Here is a very clear view of the volcano earlier this morning:

There are no changes in the status of the volcano as of yet. But people in the Anchorage and Kenai area are getting ready. An eruption is now described as "imminent." That is based on the prior history of this volcano which gave very little warning last time before it blew.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I keep checking FoxNews to see if it's blown yet.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
As something of an "armchair vulcanologist"
myself, following this with great interest. The KLM jet which was damaged in the previous eruption was a 747 which suffered flame-outs of all 4 engines
due to ingestion of volcanic ash into them; the ash re-melted inside the engines & coated the turbine blades. A National Geographic interview of the pilot said that for a few minutes, he was pilot of "the world's largest glider!"
He was finally able to restart the engines at lower altitude (@ 5000 ft., if I remember correctly; NOT a large margin of safety by jet standards!) & land safely (although I understand he had to open a cockpit side window & peer out to land - the windshields had been abraded beyond visibility from volcanic ash!). It is now standard practice for the USGS (which handles all volcano monitoring in the US) to inform the FAA of impending eruptions like this, specifically to re-route aircraft around any potential eruption clouds.

Mt Redoubt is a "grey volcano" similar to Mt. St. Helens; the magma is much thicker than that of "red volcanos" such as Kiluea (the world's most active volcano) in Hawaii, and consequently far more prone to explosive eruptions. I've visited Kiluea (in Hawaii Volcano's National park) 3 times myself; last time, I was able to get within 20 feet of an active lava flow
(the heat radiating from the flow was like standing near the open door of a blast furnace!
). Kiluea has had lava appear at the summit for the first time in many years last year - here's a link to a short Quicktime video clip of lava in the new summit crater that opened back in 2008

Active Lava Lake at Kiluea Summit

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alaska Volcanic Observatory (AVO) official update as of 2009-01-30 18:26:05
Seismic unrest continues at Redoubt and activity is well above normal background levels.

AVO continues to observe potential activity with satellite and radar data.

An AVO observation flight this afternoon reported no sign of ash emission, but observed significant steaming from a new melt depression at the mouth of the summit crater near the vent area of the 1989-90 eruption.

The Aviation Color Code remains at ORANGE and the Volcano Alert Level remains at WATCH.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Oh well. Guess I get coated with volcanic ash if/when it blows. Supposedly the stuff is great for plants...maybe somebody here will want some....

·
Registered
518 Posts
I recall that a couple of weeks ago an eruption was feared in a volcano in the Yosemite Park region. That seems to have lost the headlines now and is replaced with this Alaskan one.

I did notice, when looking at a web site recently, that there was a reference to aircraft and their re-routing.

I have part of my family living in the Ring of Fire in the Far East: there are four active volcanoes on their island but one of the bigger threats in that region is that of earthquake.

·
Registered
101 Posts
it's quite close to the drift river oil terminal.... in case it blows let's hope there will not be a desaster at the oil terminal.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
Posted By ThinkerT on 01/31/2009 1:14 AM
Oh well. Guess I get coated with volcanic ash if/when it blows. Supposedly the stuff is great for plants...maybe somebody here will want some....

Volcanic ash is interesting stuff. I had a 5 gallon bucket of Mt St Hellen's ash. I am now down about 2 quarts. Some one always wanted just a little

I have Plates and plaques made from the stuff.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Alaska Volcano Observatory also has another very interesting tool
for those who want to follow this (potential) eruption - "Webicorders"!
Similar to the webcams, these are web-enabled real-time seismograph plots that anyone with web access can view!
Here's the link to the RSO_EHZ_AV Webicorder located close to Redoubt Summit .

This may actually be a quicker indicator of things "starting to happen"
than the webcams (which I don't believe are updated as frequently), or especially if Mt. Redoubt decides to "blow"
after dark. The traces have a "time stamp" on the left; higher amplitude traces indicate increasingly severe earthquakes
. The traces are read "left-to-right" & "top-to-bottom", like a book. This page gives a full description of what they are & how to interpret the seismograph traces: AVO Webicorder Page.

Of course, if we see the traces getting increasingly violent
, then suddenly stopping, the Webicorder may "no longer be with us"
if Redoubt REALLY blows!

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Seems one in Japan decided it wanted attention too.

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Contributes to the Global warming ,maybe the treehuggers have a solution smilies

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Doesn't a volcano eruption contribute to global freezing? I thought the ash in the atmosphere blocks the energy of the sun, (reflects it back into space) Therefore it gets colder. Maybe Al Gore is behind all this volanic activity.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By jamarti on 02/03/2009 6:58 PM
Doesn't a volcano eruption contribute to global freezing? I thought the ash in the atmosphere blocks the energy of the sun, (reflects it back into space) Therefore it gets colder. Maybe Al Gore is behind all this volanic activity.

"Global Warming" is causing all of our Record Breaking COLD weather here in the midwest this winter. The volcanos will erupt later this spring and reflect all the heat back into space and we will have the sudden "Global Freezing" that we will recognize by the Record Breaking HEAT this summer.

Like that nice lady Engineer (electronics) I used to work with said, "Theory and the real world are not related." (I know she is right!)

1 - 20 of 108 Posts