G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a discussion in another forum about the availability of a Mr. Rogers Neighborhood Trolley and wanted to share a project I have been working on for the last few weeks.
HTML clipboard

The Pittsburgh Garden Railway Society built a large scale train layout for Pittsburgh's Children's Hospital in the 1990's. We have maintained it and seen it enjoyed by untold numbers of patients and visitors to the hospital.

In May of 2008 a new Children's Hospital will open. We have been asked to design and build a new layout that will be larger and, we hope, better than the original.

One of the tracks on the layout will be a point to point, something that is typically used with a trolley. Since Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was developed and filmed at WQED in Pittsburgh it made sense to use the trolley from Mr. Rogers in the layout.
None of the commercially available trolleys does a very good job of depicting the ones that were on the TV show so I decided to scratch build one for the hospital layout.

This photo shows the work done to date. There are a few other photos and details on construction on my web page at: http://www.trainelectronics.com/Trolley_MrRogers/

I plan on updating that web page as things progress.

dave

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stan - it is coming along well - I chose the AristoCraft power unit for a couple or reasons. First & foremost its wheel spacing was a close match to what I have seen of the TV show's trolley. I also spent some time examining the inner workings and found that it uses ball bearings... that should give good life. The extra electrical contacts should help to keep the unit running.

dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
love it . 4 pm on chanel 9 (now channel 27 ) th pbs in seattle would have mr rodgers and his freinds including the trolly . the trolly was the best part along with the cool traffic lights in the living room ( my mom wouldnt let me have one the family room ) impressionable 6 years old i was

·
Registered
101 Posts
ermm (In May of 2008) do you mean may 2009 as its now december 31 2008 and may was seven months ago

Mr x the owl

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Very nice model, the kids (6 to 60) will love it....please keep us appraised of your progress, I'll look forward to seeing the finished trolley.......

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
I hate it when they say G -scale.. what scale is it???? Very good thread and model.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/03/2009 12:43 PM
I hate it when they say G -scale.. what scale is it???? Very good thread and model.

Precisely why I call it, simply, "G." If that isn't confusing enough, I occasionally refer to it as "45mm."

(I'm usually 1:32, G-1)
-Kurt

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/03/2009 12:43 PM

It is actually more pleasant to use G-B-D

To loosely (very loosely) quote from Wikipedia on the subject: Scale

"... often utilize scales by shifting (transposing) a ... pattern by some constant number of scale steps. This process is known as scalar transposition.

... constructed ..." [on] "... stacks of thirds, with or without accidentals, built above a particular scale degree, which is called the root ... . Thus in a "G scale" produces the chord G-B-D."

OH! Wait, you were talking about music, weren't you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dave,

that looks fantastic. May I ask where the motorblock came from? I know it was intended for an Eggliner, but I was wondering if you got it from a source that sells them by themselves.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By railgeek on 01/03/2009 9:56 PM
Nice Work!!! I believe the full scale would be:
E-G-B-D-F
See how many musicians there are in the thread

True, but I cannot whistle that many notes all at once.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Posted By MatthewB on 01/03/2009 5:52 PM
Dave,

that looks fantastic. May I ask where the motorblock came from? I know it was intended for an Eggliner, but I was wondering if you got it from a source that sells them by themselves.

Thanks!

Matthew - the motor block was removed from an Eggliner. It is availble as a separate unit but it is out of stork right now - the part number is: 29351 [script removed]2 AXLE POWER TRUCK FOR U25B/FA1/FB1/RS3

I built the trolley so that two screws and one plug are all that connect the motor block to the body. That way we can swap out the power unit in a minute or two.

dave

·
Vendor
3,322 Posts
Nice easy installation, Dave. I like the added electrical pickups on the wheels. Sure gives more positive connections. The bridge rectifier adds full lighting in each direction as well. Nice touch. You've given me a great idea by grinding the LED's flat to give a more dispursed light. I'm going to try that on the interior LED's I installed in the Doodlebug.

The mounting is a very nice way to remove the truck when necessary. Although that truck should run forever. :) :) :)

Nice job all the way around.... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts