G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the decision has been made. After years of collecting what HOn3 models I could afford, then greedily holding on to them through every move and spring cleaning, defending them against every attack of "What do you need those for? You don't even have track to run them on." I've decided to sell. All of my HOn3 stuff in up on Ebay, to raise money to buy a DCC system and (hopefully) the electronics and decals to finish my current engine. If I have money left over, who knows? I've got several ideas for future projects, or I may get my little HO switching layout up and running, with a couple decoders in those engines as well.

Am I the only one who has trouble letting go of stuff like this, even though there's not a snowball's chance I'll ever do anyting with it?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Got a buddy moving into large scale, heck he's bought more stuff than I have in 15 years! He has a huge collection of the HOn3 also. I've tried to get him to sell them, but it's like 'prying them from his cold dead hands' is the only way it will EVER happen! I've sold lots of stuff to fund my passion for this hobby. Why hang onto stuff when you can get things to PLAY with? He claims he can't get what they are 'worth', seem to be worthless if you don't do anything with them.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried hard to fight the "pack-rat" behavior, but these are different for me. See, I started collecting them when I was in high school, and every penny was precious. To get HOn3 on a tight budget, you have to do a lot of kitbashing, and generally get creative (not unlike Fn3, actually). So everything I have is personal, or represents a good bit of digging, shopping, and penny pinching.

But, it's time. I seriously doubt I'll ever build anything else in HOn3 - it's just too fiddly for me. I'm really enjoying my first foray into the world of large scale scratchbuilding. I'll probably keep on modeling in HO standard gauge, but I can definitely see more of my energy, and thus money, going into Fn3.

I just felt like sharing my pain and pleasure. That, and if anybody needs some HOn3 stuff, there's some on Ebay at the moment... ;)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Kenneth,

Don't fell bad about being a pack rat. We all are! I have a lot of N scale packed away that belong to my son.

·
Administrator
5,695 Posts
Posted By DKRickman on 10/16/2008 6:23 PM
Am I the only one who has trouble letting go of stuff like this, even though there's not a snowball's chance I'll ever do anyting with it?

Not at all.
I too had a bunch of HOn3 locos which I'd had for over 20 years. I finally sold most of them, but I still kept my favorites - a C-25 and a few others. I also still have a Max Gray SP 5000 class 4-10-2 which I got while still in high school. I sweated blood and mowed a lot of lawns to acquire that locomotive, so I understand exactly what you're talking about. I'll undoubtedly have these until the day I die.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
Yes you can include me as one of the pack rats. I have mega bucks in HO equipment that I accumulated over a 40 year span in that hobby and still have. Yes I keep talking of selling off one day. I know the brass locos I have will stay with me and the rest can go some day if I get up the nerve to sell. The only reason I got into G was I no longer had a space to put it up the HO. My last move took care of that. No basement. Now that I'm big into G scale I'll never will go back to the smaller scale. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I sold all my Hon3 trains years ago when I burned out on trains. Now I regret not keeping at least one train for display. I had scratch built several freight cars and a couple of one of the kind cabooses. Now they are gone and I don't know where the buyer lives any more. I did turn a nice profit on some built Fine Scale Miniatures kits.

Now I work with the large scale outdoors and the beginnings of an On30 shelf layout indoors.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I had over 100 brass HO engines, about 12 HOn3 and 14 in On3 as well as mountains of HO rolling stock. It took me several years to decide to part with them but I finally did and have not regretted it since I totally committed to the great outdoors. The hardest engines to part with were 4 Precision Scale On3 West Side Lbr. Shays. I still have a bunch of unused Shinohara HO N/S switches and a car or two but that's about it.

Funny too as my present roster has only 5 steam engines, a small Whitcomb and a railbus and I'm getting more enjoyment from them than I ever had with 100+ HO engines that I couldn't even keep running all at one time.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
You are not alone.

I have bought stuff and then later realize that I may never use it. But I can't let it go.

While other people purge thier rolling stock I hord mine. I even give homes to some other people unwated rolling stock.

It's like adopting unwanted children.

With only two exceptions. I had a 1975 3/4 ton GMC van. I bought it with 80 K on it. I put 2 engines and 3 transmsions and 9 drvier seats.
I stopped driveing it at 475,000 miles. I just took it to the bone yard about a month ago. (Marty money) It sat here in the yard for about 10 years.
The other I gave away my 94 Toyota Pick up last week. it had 235K on it.

Yea just like you I am a horder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts