G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recruited to help move my wife's sister and her family from nearby McPherson, KS to Salina where we live. I hadn't been over to the house they were buying so I was totally unprepared for what I found in the garden!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif

I think I said something asinine like,"You've got a garden railroad!!" My sister-in-law smiled and said, "Yeah, the guy we bought the house from had one here. He hasn't done anything with it for a couple of years but he's going to take the track and the buildings. The rest he's planning on leaving here." It's amazing what you'll trip over when you least expect it! My sister-in-law is considering keeping the garden (they originally planned to use a front-loader and scoop it all away to put in grass) so we'll see what happens.
It's a small layout but it has all the basics with a couple of extra features. The layout has held up surprisingly well for being unused for three years!

Here's a few more shots of the layout:

I'm going to get in contact with this gentleman as he is interested in starting up a garden railroad at his new residence. He has attended our WAGRS Open House Tours so who knows? We may end up with a third family in Salina as members of WAGRS!:)

·
Premium Member
Getting our home built so maybe we can start playing with trains again!
263 Posts
That's amazing. Too bad he wasn't leaving things behind. Then ya could have talked the S.I.L. and husband into keeping it so when you came over to visit you could have a train to run/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/w00t.gif

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Amazing what somefolks can do in small spaces.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Nice surprise indeed. I would imagine we would all  be surprised at how many of these little layouts may be out there that we never hear about online or see in Garden Railways magazine.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Well, hurry up and run a train on it 'fore it's torn up!

G

·
Posted By Torby on 05/19/2008 7:24 AM
Well, hurry up and run a train on it 'fore it's torn up!

Yeah, lets see that Battery Power K on that pike!

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Beautiful little railroad.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I offered to spend "a couple of weekends" helping to get it back up to speed and my sister-in-law is all for it.....provided I do all the work and contribute all the track (remember, the original owner is taking his track with him!) I actually have almost enough track to replace the track that would be removed but then the original owner said he wanted to take the ponds as well!!:confused:" If that's going to happen then it really isn't something I would try to convince them to do. They really want a yard with grass for their kids. Besides, the way she sees it they can come over to our house to play with trains!:rolleyes:"
As to running the K-27 on the layout....../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/doze.gif yep! Riiight! I'll just bet she'd whip right around those R1 curves!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts