G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well All,
I've recently moved up in the live steam world. Picked up an Accu 2 cylinder shay at one of the area shows. Little run time, all original boxes, etc. with the unit. Waiting to pick it up for the January show in Grand Rapids. The Ruby, 20 foot gondolas and crummie found a new home. I'll be running this loco with about 10 New Mexico Logging Company log cars and a bashed AMS combine (#215 Pagosa Springs). Log cars will share time with my electric highly detailed # 278 C-16 (corrected to actual prototype 1935 era) and new Bachie K-27 (#463). Yes, back into the large scale stuff big time. Of course, still modeling some On30 D&RGW (#463, etc.). No Diamondhead this year, not enough time in the work schedule

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Marc, Which locomotive did you get? Open cab or Mich-Cal. Either one is a nice improvement over the Ruby. Congrats.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

The open cab. Got a sweet deal on it. Worked out to a little over $500.00
Used one year, howeer, in great condition. Just enough to break it in. I hope to be up and running the loco for the January Grand Rapids show, 1/10/09. If not, I will definately be at the Gratiot show March 1, 2009.
Tanks

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Wow!  Good price.  I've enjoyed by open cab for many years now.  Am taking it to Diamondhead this year in fact.  Will be at Diamondhead / Florida during those steamups.  Maybe will catch you again at the Mt. Pleasant show at the end of March.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Fred,
I am taking Amtrak to Diamondhead, so I can only manage carrying one locomotive with my luggage. I decided to take my Shay because it's very reliable, lightweight and doesn't have R/C. We can be in the Shay-up together along with the Rail Geek and many others.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I will be at the shay-up with proper links and pins this time lol (no more paperclips, hopefully everyone else will remembers theirs too or have accucraft bring extras)

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Must be something about Shays and Christmas. I bought Larry Mosher's slightly used Mich-Cal (non open-cab) engine over the weekend, together with 24 ore cars. I've run the engine close to 10 times in my basement and at my parents' place and have had an absolute blast in the process. Who knew running one of the slowest engines ever designed could be so fun? Based on the last 72 hours or so of live steam euphoria, I seriously plan on culling my MTH one-gauge herd to free up some capital. Probably will keep the Big Boy and see about converting to battery . . .

Cheers, Jon Linde

1 - 8 of 8 Posts