G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted several pictures on this forum talking about OGRR tour and a couple other places and I got several request to explain how I built my mountains, I must confess I am not good at taking working pictures butI promise to take some in the near future for futher explanation,

src='http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/denray/RABBIT MOUNTAIN 002.jpg'>

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are pictures of my tunnel portals,I have doors on my portals to keep out varmits. As you can see in the second picture I have a treated 1.5 x 1.5 driven in the ground at a angle. I have several of these stair ways ballasters driven in the ground and shorter pieces screwed to them to create many different shapes.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Go back up two pictures to see wire in place./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif
I can build these things easier than I can Post this stuff so please bear with me./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the wire wall is either straight up or just slightly in at a angle, you can only apply about 6-9 inches of cement at a time, to prevent it from falling or sliding down. Since there are more areas on the wire that have a horizontal or flat area to pile cement, I pile it where ever it will stay. Let it set for 30-60 minutes depending on how hot it is and pile more on it to obtain more height.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the very top of the cement, as you can see I pile it on in BLOBS/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blink.gif This is a start of the shaping when it is finished, don't be neat and ttry not to be perfect about. just slop it on in small BLOBS.
Dennis

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Finished mountain 4.5 feet tall and 14 feet long, you can see the train coming out of tunnel

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The steel bridge side of Wolf Mountain, See how the mountain is hanging out to the right, I made it look like I blasted through and cut the center of mountain out, do THAT with rocks/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/satisfied.gif
Dennis

1 - 20 of 72 Posts