G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rather enjoy scratch building models, but my knowledge of motors is woefully lacking. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif.

My general requirements are usually a relatively small train, generally something that would at the most be compareable to a bachmann porter in size and strength, though i have built a couple smaller and a couple bigger ones. The motors need to have a tolerance for voltages up to 22-24 volts or i need a way to protect them from overloading at such voltages.

M current project is a fireless steam locomotive that would be required to pull 4-5 cars at the most. 

Do you have tips for which motor i should choose for this project? and tips for choosing the proper motor and source of motors for future projects.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could go the route that ITUNCLE uses. Look for the thread on scratch-power. OR start with a loco from ebay and customize from there. OR do go the route that I'm choosing: Just jump in with both feet using a couple of surplus 12v motors from the local electronics store. One other thought that I may try as well: Harbor Freight frequently puts in 9.6 and 12v drills on sale for $10-$15. Next time they do, I'm going to pick one up and disassemble. THAT should have plenty of torque.

Wildbill

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not for very long  :)

All the motors that I have worked with, both big and large, AC or DC, are rated at the max voltage rating.  So a 12v motor will only handle 12v.  24v will handle a max of 24v and so on.

After that, I'm afraid I don't remember enough of my high-school electronics to be of much more use.  I know there are ways to build circuits to protect/limit the amount of voltage going to your  motor.  Hopefully someone else on the forum can be of help here.

Bill

·
Registered
766 Posts
The main problem is not the motor -but how you connect the motor to the axles... It is very easy to build a potential divider to allow a 12Volt motor to run on 24Volts. You use two very large wattage resistors of equal value, and take the voltage to the motor from the mid point. Here is a link to MFA -who supply most of the equipment that I use:

http://www.mfacomodrills.com/

regards

ralph

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
The place I usually deal with is called the Surplus center and I believe the web site is WWW.surpluscenter.com they carry alot of 12 to24 volt motors, gear drive ,worm drive, direct drive, hope this helps too, Take care and Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Besides, at 24v, your 12v motor will be going REALLY fast.

However, if you're worried about running a 12v motor on your layout, you'll find you run the loco well below 12v to get a nice speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts