G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USA 20 ton Switcher engine, has only 1 motor block, I am trying to isolate the 2 motor wires that run the motor, there are 4 coming out of the block that goes to the wiring board, 2 come out and are joined up with a tamyia connector from 2 other ones that are from track pickup points, and they go to the board that are marked - and +.
2 more go directly to the board and are marked M- and M+ , wich one is the one that runs the motor? Trying to isolate them to convert to battery power, didnt know which forum to put it in.

Tom h

·
Super Modulator
20,525 Posts
M+ and M- are indeed the motor leads.

It sounds like you are installing a decoder.

I would STRONGLY recommend you go to radio shack, and buy an inexpensive voltmeter and use the resistance function (ohms) to be able to test that the pickup leads are INDEED isolated from everythig else except the right and left wheels.

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Greg. I am installing a reciever and the Railboss from G-scale Graphics. Just want to make sure about this, I am not gifted in electronics

tom h

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
While you are at the RS pick up a snap cap with leads for a 9 volt battery. You can then use that for testing and orientation of motor leads and such.

-Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts