G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most guys dont bother running the smoke generators on their units, but i was wondering for show is there anything you can do to produce more smoke from the generators?  and what can be substituted for the smoke oil sold for the units?  thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The USA units don't produce much smoke plus they don't have an auto shut off and burn out easily if run dry. I think I read somewhere that some have even caught on fire running dry. The newer Aristo units are pretty good and I have hear the MTH units are even better. I have heard of guys using lamp oil mixed with something else in the good old days but I would advise it. Stick with Aristo or LGB smoke/track cleaning fluid.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I use a 50/50 mix of lamp oil (not the outdoor type) and bbq lighter fluid, works wonders in LGB/Seuthe units.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian, I dont know how true it is or if mine differs from yours because of age but my USA GP9 manual says that it does have an auto shut off..like i said i dont know how well it works and dont want to risk burnin something up relying on it. but thanks guys for the pointers.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
To me  Smoke generators are whimppy.   They just don't produce enough smoke.   What would be kewl  would be to produce smoke according to  load.   Like when a Diesel first starts to move a train  It smokes a lot.    Or a  Steam engine  pulling a load up hill  Billowing smoke.     None seem to do that.  Not even   Live Steamers.    

So the reason I don't run Smoke Generators is  They dont look real enough 

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jason,
I have mounted a PC Northbridge cooling fan inside my GP-38 right under one of the cooling fans with it drawing air into the shell....it actually helps produce that "forced" smoke effect thru both stacks. and it also spins the cooling fans as well so when I have it Idling on a siding the cooling fans are "running" to keep the engine cool. I picked up power from the rear powerblock and added a bridge rectifier so that the fan will run no matter which direction I'm running.

I have some pics somewhere of one of the club meetings where I ran it.

oh and I use a mixture Aristo Fluid and 3-in-1 oil for my smokers...and it will set off the smoke alarms when I am in the house running....I also get really extended smoke times with this mix too.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Because I run battery power and the time on my long track runs is premium, I never even bother with the smoke units. Besides, knowing me, I'd forget to shut the darn things off.

--Ron in CC

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
My Aristo Dash 9's and Mikado do an excellent job 'smoking'. I usually run both on battery power and then as Ron said, don't use the smoke feature. When running track power....I use the smoke feature more. I've been very satisfied when using either unit. Only thing I would like to see is a darker smoke.  Just remember, second hand smoke can be damaging to your health! /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No doubt it would be cool to have a huff of smoke ploom when the diesel throttles up. it could be done maybe with the fan shawn mentioned if it was controlled with the speed of the train.  and blacker smoke would be cool too..but im gonna try to 3n1 oil and aristo or what ever the lhs has in stock.  I know its not realistic but its all in good fun. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Posted By Cheapy 38-2 on 01/13/2008 7:28 PM
No doubt it would be cool to have a huff of smoke ploom when the diesel throttles up. it could be done maybe with the fan shawn mentioned if it was controlled with the speed of the train.  and blacker smoke would be cool too..but im gonna try to 3n1 oil and aristo or what ever the lhs has in stock.  I know its not realistic but its all in good fun. thanks guys

Just be sure to a fire extinguisher handy and the video camera rolling. Nothing like a good model train in flames video on YouTube.

-Brian

·
Registered
77 Posts
There's no need for a fire extinguisher for the 3-in-1/Aristo mix I've been using it for some time now and havent had any issues.... I have been experimenting with Aristo Fluid and real coal dust mix..it gives that darker plume that we all want but until I get the formula just right and have been using it for a little longer I would only experiment on engines that have been well ran or heavily bashed.

but I have been using it in my Mallet and U25b's, and one Dash 9 for a while now with no ill effects so far.

and the 3-in-1/Aristo mix I've been using it for almost a year now and it works just fine...no gummy wicks, burnt elements or even that oily splatter you get with just straight fluid.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I just installed a aristo super smoke unit into one of my lgb 2-4-0's that I highly modified. I have it HARD WIRED directly to my rc unit, so it gets maximum curent. IT SMOKES!!!! alot..... it drinks like no other too, The deal with lamp oil is true, and i've never had problems with it dammaging anything in the 4 or so years i've been using it. If you want smoke, get a sd-45 smoke unit from aristo, it's sold in a kit for under $30.00, very simple to install, and works great!

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Since most smoke units are really resistors and wicks, I would not use anything but what the MFG suggests.

A wax residue will clog the wick and make the smoke units inoperable.

LGB smoke fluid is also a cleaning fluid for their products and I was in a maintenance clinic where we were told to use this fluid to clean the cars/engines and it can bring back the luster.
This is a good way to promote more fluid sales!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The MTH smoke units I have seen at train shows REALLY put out the smoke. However, I never operate mine in the Bachmann or LGB units I have, because they don't put out enough to look real. I operate my trains outside, and there always sems to be a breeze in this valley I live in. That really makes it usless.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Having worked at several shows stuck beside people running MTH trains, yes their smoke units WORK, but they also STINK. It doesn't smell like good coal smoke either, more like unburnt kero. (The last smoke oil I could actually stand the smell of was the old toxic Flyer stuff)....

My 7 YO runs smoke on my modified LGB 2017 and Lionel James.... I usually don't.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I knew you where kidding Brian..../DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

But I have seen the flaming loco video before on the Tube.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Yep, MTH is the king of smoke & it's patented...DCS locos w/ MTH smoke units have 3 levels of smoke output along with labored/drifting smoke. The big MTH smoke units are 4 times the size of any other manufacturers units.

The best smoke fluid imho is JT's Mega-Steam... http://www.megasteam.com/index.html

1 - 20 of 77 Posts