G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First:

Several of the smaller Davenports have a structure I can't identify for sure, generally on the fireman's side running board, but it's sometimes on the engineman's side....

Here is an example: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/cg_dav.jpg

I see a grille for cooling, and some kind of pulley inside that's likely driven by a belt from the engine .... anyone know what that is?

Second:

Anyone have a photo (other than the Bachmann catalog one) of the Carmen Centrale #8 (Puerto Rico sugar mill) 10 Ton Davenport?

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I would guess it's a belt-driven compressor for the air brake system.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Matt,

Have to agree. Looks like an air compressor for the locomotive brakes and horn. Some might also have had train air but it's unlikely.

Jeff Livingston
Kaneohe, Hawaii

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
I haven't got a clue about Gas-Mechanicals, but I have been around compressors all my life and what I can see through that screen looks like the wheel of a compressor that used to run in a similar enclosure outside of a shop I once worked in. The image is not clear, but I'd swear I could see the flanged cylinder behind the wheel. It was a huge sucker without the tank, which was inside the shop.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, allrighty then. At least now if I can't fit all that stuff into the model as-is, I have an excuse to build an additional enclosure.

Y'know, Richard, in his particular pose, I'd love to have Marcus in the cab of this (except that he'd have to be backing up most of the time) ... or maybe Ernie with a foot out the door (except that I'd also like Ernie in the K-27 cab if he ever has an engineer's cap, and I'd hate to be accused of cloning!) .... I think it'd demonstrate how small this particular beast is!

Matthew (OV)

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
The seated Marcus, should fit ok. It looks like the engineer sits on the fireman's side on these Gas mechanical engines,,,, if so then the seated Marcus might look like he's looking back if you sort of sat him at a clockwise angle in the seat. As far as a hat on Ernie, I hadn't considered it before, but it is doable ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts