G Scale Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
Larry,
Im not able to post pics or drawings..comletely computer illiterate..but I could mail adrawing when its done..

Rick,
I compared the frames from our SPC3 and the Accucraft Model..same wheelbase, same overall dimension. but the cylinder centreline on ours is closer to the front driver by 4mm,, I used the drwaings from the Macgregor book on the SPC RR dont know what they used..

Gordon.

· Premium Member
16 Posts
Gordon,
I looked at your SPC3 and the Accucraft 4-4-0 again...I agree that the wheelbase and overall dimensions look equivalent. I think the diameter of the Accucraft boiler is greater. Your SPC3 looks more svelte. I need to take both locomotives outside for a side by side picture but it won't be tonight....I have two toddlers to watch while the wife is away.

Rick Hammack

· Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Did anyone see their running boards not level? My engineers side slopes up about a 1/8" from middle to tip. Firemans side seems to be much better but still a bit sloped. Also noticed the tender is sloping down in the frone due to the base of the truck bushing being taller in the back than the front. Hmmmm I did shim the bolts to get actual pressure on the springs so it keeps from wobbeling all over.

I did all my normal checks and fixes to het tonight - shortened the fuel line, cut the throttle extension so the know is closer to the tender and not so visable. Cut the top of the chuff pipe off and insulated the smokebox door Lubricated everything for the Saturday morning trials.

David I'll have to take a photo of her and the Carter combine, looks fantastic. Amanda (the wife) really likes her new loco so we now can run the cars with it...hehe when I start on the coach that it

· Premium Member
441 Posts
Larry, I doubt I'll be adding the sidways swing to the wood cab kits. From my standpoint, the jury is still out on whether the sideways swing roof is any good. I prefer the roofs that hinge forward, so I can get my hand in under the roof and control the engine manually through the yards and switches. My concern is the sideways swing may hit an train on an inside track. The lift off roof of our kits is a simple cork in the bottle type thing.

I dont know which drawings Acc used, maybe the drawing in the Macgregor book, but the cab is not the same. The earlier prototype seemed to have an overshort wheel base, which was fixed before even the Disney versions went out. Other than the cab setup for a later era version, the proportions look good. I think they're a pretty good buy for what you get, and in terms of decoration, they really exceeded my expectations, they did a really great job of them.

David.

· Registered
310 Posts
Larry,
Ok the small end crosshead pins are done..do you want adrawing? if so Mail address please..

The interesting thing is the loco ran better after the fix..it removed a lot of the slack in the motion work, whcih in turn means the valve events are better.

David. Ill send you aset of the Pins for yours.. no machining needed just dismantle and install the replacemnets.

Gordon.

· Premium Member
441 Posts
Great stuff Gordon,
I wonder if the moguls crosshead pins are done the same way. Mine haven't failed yet, but my NCNG 2-6-0 has a bit of slop in the rods which causes a bind at slow speed on the rear wheel cranks.

Thanks Gordon, I have no doubt we'll be running 4-4-0s at the next big steam up!

David.

· Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Um My process is just a cut off disc on the dremel....Height I start high and see how it sounds. Righjt nor it is flush with the inside top step on the stack. Ill see how it sounds and go from there. Im hoping that the open pipe directs more heat away from the stack to keep from melting. It also gices a actual plume.

· Premium Member
213 Posts
Posted By Kovacjr on 06/26/2008 8:21 PM
.... cut the throttle extension so the know is closer to the tender and not so visable.

Jay - Did you shorten the throttle or gas extension? If you shortened the throttle it would be closer to the cab/boiler, so I assume you mean the gas. I wish my throttle extension was longer on the Lilly Bell 4-4-0.... I have to lift the cab roof every time to adjust it. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/unsure.gif

· Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Gordon,
Thanks. My address should be waiting in your MLS mailbox.

Jason,
After your comment, I checked my running boards--they are both level. Also, my tender rides fine.
The only things I have found so far to pick at are a paint nick on the pilot, and the clear finish on the left cylinder brass jacket is peeling off after 3 hours. Overall, I am very satisfied so far with mine. Better be, after waiting three years for it! (Oops, I wasn't supposed to get into that anymore.)

Larry

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Larry,

At least you have gotten your hands on yours..... Mine arrived 6/24, the day after I left from a two day visit to home (the first in six weeks).

Oh well, at least I will be able to get my hands on mine before the end of July. I can't wait to line up a green SPC #3 with my freight SPC #13. However, I'm sure I'll get to see lots of 4-4-0s in Sacto at the National Summer Steam-up.

Best regards,

Alan

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Dwight,

Yes, the sand dome was added along with doing air pump and side rod mods. My son Jeff and Charles are packing locomotives this weekend to get them to the National Summer Steam-up. Jeff was up last weekend to pick up #13 so it will be there! And I talked with Gary Watkins of Sierra Valley and there may even be an SPC caboose #3 to join forces.

BTW, I can't wait to finally meet you and see NPC #21.

Best regards,

Alan

PS My dad Clark from Newark is planning to drive up. He's registered with Sonny, and the plans are for him to acquire some burned fingers (at age 91)

· Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Gordon,
While you are on and off this thread,could I do something to the Argyle SPC3 to improve chuff without
hurting it's performance. Has a pretty decent chuff now, but was curious to what you think. I sure do not want to change what you have made.
Art

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.