G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
441 Posts
I'll be designing a laser cut wood cab kit as soon as the 4-4-0 arrives here. Bronson Tate Architectural models will be able to cut it and send them out, same as the 4 Ruby/Ida cab kits we set up earlier this year. The current cab on the 4-4-0 is based on an inservice verison of SPC #3. The laser cut one will set up from original Baldwin design and can be polished naturally. I'll get onto it as soon as my 4-4-0 arrives. Lift of roof.

David.

· Premium Member
441 Posts
Larry, I doubt I'll be adding the sidways swing to the wood cab kits. From my standpoint, the jury is still out on whether the sideways swing roof is any good. I prefer the roofs that hinge forward, so I can get my hand in under the roof and control the engine manually through the yards and switches. My concern is the sideways swing may hit an train on an inside track. The lift off roof of our kits is a simple cork in the bottle type thing.

I dont know which drawings Acc used, maybe the drawing in the Macgregor book, but the cab is not the same. The earlier prototype seemed to have an overshort wheel base, which was fixed before even the Disney versions went out. Other than the cab setup for a later era version, the proportions look good. I think they're a pretty good buy for what you get, and in terms of decoration, they really exceeded my expectations, they did a really great job of them.

David.

· Premium Member
441 Posts
Great stuff Gordon,
I wonder if the moguls crosshead pins are done the same way. Mine haven't failed yet, but my NCNG 2-6-0 has a bit of slop in the rods which causes a bind at slow speed on the rear wheel cranks.

Thanks Gordon, I have no doubt we'll be running 4-4-0s at the next big steam up!

David.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.