G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
310 Posts
This problem of melted stacks also happens on the 2-6-0s soft soldering the stack assembly might work. but the basic problem is the over sized gas jet fitted..if relit with awarm gas tank after refueling the fire is ablowtorch out the smokebox..fitting smaller gas jet helps and lining the burner inside with a layer of fine S/S gauze..but silver soldering the stack body would be best..

one Ive repaired here now ahs arow of tiny rivets around the top flange to hold it together in case the solder melts agian.
gordon.

· Registered
310 Posts
Inspection shows the crosshead /small end pin is a riveted [upset] inside , not a threaded bolt..as this will fail in service we will be doing a proper small end bolt before shipping these out to customers.

gordon.

· Registered
310 Posts
Larry,
Im not able to post pics or drawings..comletely computer illiterate..but I could mail adrawing when its done..

Rick,
I compared the frames from our SPC3 and the Accucraft Model..same wheelbase, same overall dimension. but the cylinder centreline on ours is closer to the front driver by 4mm,, I used the drwaings from the Macgregor book on the SPC RR dont know what they used..

Gordon.

· Registered
310 Posts
Larry,
Ok the small end crosshead pins are done..do you want adrawing? if so Mail address please..

The interesting thing is the loco ran better after the fix..it removed a lot of the slack in the motion work, whcih in turn means the valve events are better.

David. Ill send you aset of the Pins for yours.. no machining needed just dismantle and install the replacemnets.

Gordon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.