G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my D&RG version arrived yesterday from Gregory at RGSRR
The running gear and switch over to slide values is quite an accomplishment.
Worth waiting for.

Close up, it has a bit of a tin plate feel to me. It is just asking for a
wood cab with more depth to it.

I thought I would keep it as D&RG, but now I will go back to my original plan
to make it into "Tacoma Eastern" from some old photos that I have.

very nice at the price

jim

·
Registered
62 Posts
The same thing happened to me with the NCNG Mogul. I contacted Cliff at Accucraft who sent me a replacement. I fired it up and within 30 minutes that one fell apart too. Sent the stack back to Cliff for examination. I currently have a straight stack on it.

JT

·
Registered
62 Posts
UPDATE> I just spoke with Cliff at Accucraft on the phone. He said that there are a few engines with the Radley Hunter style stack that have reported an issue with the stacks falling apart /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif Cliff is talking to the factory about coming up with a solution. The problem is that all of the stacks that Acucraft has ever made have only been soft soldered; however, only the Radley Hunter stack seems to come apart with the normal heat of operation. One solution would be to silver solder the stacks, but with that option we would loose the etching detail on the stack. The other option would be to go to a turned stack, but again you would loose the detail, and they would take considerably longer to manufacture. Cliff assures me that he is working on a resolution. He will contact me as soon as he has a plan of action. If you are experiencing any problems with your Radley Hunter stack, please be patient for the next few days and I will post an update as soon as I get a call back from Cliff. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me.

·
Lord of the Steam
620 Posts
I would think that a better solution for attaching stacks would be to design them with a threaded bottom that inserts into the smokebox, which is then held in place by a petticoat in the smokebox that is threaded to act as a nut to hold the stack in place. That's how my little Aster Baldwin was designed. I actually have a couple of different stacks that I can change out on a whim at a steamup.

Scott

·
Registered
308 Posts
This problem of melted stacks also happens on the 2-6-0s soft soldering the stack assembly might work. but the basic problem is the over sized gas jet fitted..if relit with awarm gas tank after refueling the fire is ablowtorch out the smokebox..fitting smaller gas jet helps and lining the burner inside with a layer of fine S/S gauze..but silver soldering the stack body would be best..

one Ive repaired here now ahs arow of tiny rivets around the top flange to hold it together in case the solder melts agian.
gordon.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Gordon
I like the way the Argyle SPC3 that you made does it's stack. I can remove it while lighting
and then replace and it stays in great. Still luv that little engine.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Gordon,
The Accucraft 4-4-0 looks to be a little bigger than your SPC3. I haven't placed them side-by-side so I could be all wrong. They should be close in size...right?

I agree with a previous post that the wood cab sets the Argyle SPC3 apart as does the full Stephenson, and the tender pump. However, considering the price, Accucraft has made one fine looking locomotive (I have the NCNG Grass Valley). Soon, I will see how it runs.

The 4-4-0 is my first Accucraft (I have a few Asters, Catatonks, Argyles, and a Roundhouse). I may buy a few more Accucrafts if my stack doesn't melt.

Rick Hammack

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Just received a phone call from a fellow steamer that the cross head bolt broke loose. Not extend of the damage to the 0-6-0 as indicated by Nevada Bill yet possible design problem.

·
Super Moderator
406 Posts
I'll be designing a laser cut wood cab kit as soon as the 4-4-0 arrives here. Bronson Tate Architectural models will be able to cut it and send them out, same as the 4 Ruby/Ida cab kits we set up earlier this year. The current cab on the 4-4-0 is based on an inservice verison of SPC #3. The laser cut one will set up from original Baldwin design and can be polished naturally. I'll get onto it as soon as my 4-4-0 arrives. Lift of roof.

David.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Inspection shows the crosshead /small end pin is a riveted [upset] inside , not a threaded bolt..as this will fail in service we will be doing a proper small end bolt before shipping these out to customers.

gordon.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Gordon
Again great service from you as a dealer. I wish the US dealers would put forth such a quality control inspection along with making things right but more than that Accucraft needs to do this prior through beta testing outside their "show and tell" sessions.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
David,

I'm looking forward to your wood cab designed for the 4-4-0. Any thoughts to making it so the cab roof can hinge and drop down on the fireman's side, like the factory one? I like this feature much better than a removable one--somehow I frequently find myself hurrying after a departing engine, cab roof in hand.

BTW, my NCNG 4-4-0 looks and runs beautifully right out of the box. Thanks again for your efforts on the paint and graphics. This is a terrific engine for the money.

Concerning the mainrod/crosshead wrist pin, they look to be similar to the ones on the AC 0-6-0s that may have a design problem (see the other forum post). So far, mine remain tight, but I will be keeping careful watch in case they start to wear loose.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Gordon,

After posting my comments, I now see yours. Could you post a sketch of your redesigned wrist pin when available? This would be most helpful and save the rest of us from having to start from scratch. Or, better yet, maybe Accucraft could work from your design to supply them for retrofitting.

Larry

·
Registered
62 Posts
RESOLUTION > I just received a call back from Cliff at Accucraft. The solution that has been decided is to manufacture a batch of silver soldered versions of the Radley Hunter stack. It will most likely be about four weeks or so before Cliff will get the replacement stacks, but if you have any issues with your Radley Hunter stack coming apart please contact Cliff via phone and he will put you on the list to recieve a replacement stack when it arrives.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts