G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Man oh man, you are right. Someone is smoking some strange stuff. $239.50 for a piece of New Bright is rediculus. Oh well, to each his own.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Only 3 bidders on the item. It sounds like a stunt just to push p the price of items, because NOBODY in this hobby or in thier RIGHT mind would pay that much for a New Bright car.

Cliff

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its over now, only 8 bids, I think someone must have made a serious typo when bidding

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nice profit!
And I read "all" those high price LGB comments. Very interesting interests in Disney products for those 4 bidders.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
People never went crazy bidding when I had something to sell. I was always lucky to get wholesale price.

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Probably not a guy that "plays with trains" but probably a Disney nut. That is why the Disney H0e trains from Japan are absolutely impossible to buy.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted By Spule 4 on 05/19/2008 3:35 PM
Probably not a guy that "plays with trains" but probably a Disney nut. That is why the Disney H0e trains from Japan are absolutely impossible to buy.

the **** you say? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif

I got one of those, a Tomie 2-4-2 Disney engines and 3 Retlaw cars for $50 off Evilbay a couple years ago, kept the engine & resold the coaches for what I paid for them, result: free engine. Still have it, awaiting some future Hon30 project :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
First, the vendor did not reveal the manufacturer.

Apparently the successful bidden made an outrageously high bid 4 days before the biding ended. The final price was driven up by others bidding and his automatic bid kept him ahead. That guy really wanted that piece, not unusual in many eBay auctions.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By MarkLewis on 05/19/2008 4:30 PM
That guy really wanted that piece, not unusual in many eBay auctions.
Mark

Unfortunatly these turn up on Ebay quite frequently. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif:D

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
Posted By vsmith on 05/19/2008 4:20 PM
Posted By Spule 4 on 05/19/2008 3:35 PM

the **** you say? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/tongue.gif" border=0>
I got one of those, a Tomie 2-4-2 Disney engines and 3 Retlaw cars for $50 off Evilbay a couple years ago, kept the engine & resold the coaches for what I paid for them, result: free engine. Still have it, awaiting some future Hon30 project :D" border=0>

Grr.....one that must have slipped by the radar. Good score there!

Irony, one of the ebay adverts to the left is one of these NB cars.

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
Well, as far as the seller not representing the manufacturer goes, the ad did say "New Bright!" The winning buyer has something like 650 purchases so he's not a newbie! Caveat Emptor!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
I just checked and the car is again up for bid! Apparently, the buyer decided NOT to go through with the deal (gee, I wonder why? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif ) The starting bid is $29 with no takers as yet...

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Posted By Steve Stockham on 05/20/2008 9:47 AM
I just checked and the car is again up for bid! Apparently, the buyer decided NOT to go through with the deal (gee, I wonder why? /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/wow.gif" border=0> ) The starting bid is $29 with no takers as yet...

Someone f'd up with a great big typo while bidding I'll bet. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crazy.gif ;)

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Even at $29 that is steep!

Consider too that it took two folks or a shill bidder to bid it that high. Hmmm? I've a feind that watches HO auctions and he's succesfully "outed" a few sellers using shill bidders to up the price. He kept the records of his bids and who was bidding against him and the fact that the sale never went thru but the same person kept outbidding him and yet they failed to complete the transaction. Hmmm? fishy? Yeah!

Chas

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Some fishy business goes on.

I used to buy gvt surplus test instruments, clean them up, make sure they were reasonably calibrated, worked and had their accessories and sell them on ebay. There got to be a guy who would list the exact same thing the next day with an initial bid of zero, and would withdraw it as soon as my auction was over with no bids. He always used different accounts for this bogus listing.

You never know what's going to happen at an auction. If two get into a bidding war and run the price up rediculously, you just have to say, "look at those idiots," be glad you're not one of them and laugh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts