G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been saving this for April 1st, but since it appears that reality is stranger than fiction, I might as well post now...
I was planning on posting a video of my latest project and pretend it is a secret Bachmann live steam prototype.
Anyway, without further ado, I present the live steam Bachmann Davenport:

More (poor quality) photos here.
It is powered by a Midwest single cylinder engine mounted where the electric motor used to be. It is fed by a home made boiler. The boiler has a single flue that is bent 90 degrees up towards the end (no smoke box) and contains a slightly modified Ruby burner. The gas tank is located between the frames at the front of the engine. Thanks to the worm gear kept from the original drive train, the speed is very low and power is adequate. I'm still adjusting the burner: so far I've had two short runs, a powerful one where the fire kept quitting on me and a very low power one (after installing a ring to adjust the air intake on the burner) with not enough air.

I made a replacement hood top out of copper. I spent some quality time with my hammers and vise on that one!

I plan to take better pictures and shoot a short movie of it over the weekend...

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Brilliant!! I love it!

After all, we have electrically-driven 'steam' locomotives, so why not a steam-driven dismal?

Great stuff - it's what this hobby is all about!

tac
www.ovgrs.org

·
Registered
243 Posts
MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!  (

·
Registered
966 Posts
Yep,
and while you guys come up with cool ideas, I am in another room working the lathe. But nevertheless I have also a pretty crazy new project in mind! It is even narrower than 3' or 2'.
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Dave,
Since the prototype ran on ?disel? and your model runs on Steam, maybe you should call it a Dave N Port

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Cool project! It's vaguely reminiscent of the Sentinel industrial steam engines built in England that looked at first glance like a diesel critter. I'd be really interested to see what it looks like under the hood, particularly the boiler design and burner mods. I've been thinking about something similar to what you describe for a model boat project I'm planning.

·
Registered
620 Posts
You guys must have gotten into some really good STUFF out there on the left coast!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Posted By Chrisp on 03/27/2009 10:01 PM
Exhausts where? Cool concept!

Hi Chris,
The exhaust is down somewhere towards the track... To be honnest, I haven't finalized it. It is a piece of silicon tubing so it tends to go where it wants at this point ;-)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posted By rkapuaala on 03/28/2009 10:41 AM
Dave,
Since the prototype ran on ?disel? and your model runs on Steam, maybe you should call it a Dave N Port

Hi Richard,
That's a neat idea! No re-lettering needed!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Posted By rwjenkins on 03/28/2009 1:10 PM
Cool project! It's vaguely reminiscent of the Sentinel industrial steam engines built in England that looked at first glance like a diesel critter. I'd be really interested to see what it looks like under the hood, particularly the boiler design and burner mods. I've been thinking about something similar to what you describe for a model boat project I'm planning.

Hi Richard,
Thanks. I've got some "naked" pictures of it in my camera. I plan to upload them tonight...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow!
Regner should pay you for the advertisment. What kind of grades are on that layout???
And finally a dismal worth watching! You guys are having too much fun.
Matt

·
Registered
243 Posts
Steve you had exactly the same thought I had. My intention is to make a Bell Tunnel mining loco similar to the "condensing type" shown on the geared steam website.

Matt what the video doesn't show is me letting the the Konrad build up 60 pounds in the boiler, and cranking the throttle WIDE OPEN to pull the loaded flat car up that hill. The Konrad was barking louder than I have ever heard it and I had to jump in and cut the throttle when she crested the summit. It was fun-- and also an experience that a sparkie operator will never have! Real railroading! I'm not sure on the grades on Henner's layout but I suspect at least 10% It is California mountain railroading for sure! The Shay's, Climax, and Konrad have no problem pushing empty log cars up the hill.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Re gearing will be the answer: http://www.45mm-kleinbahn.de/index.php?/archives/17-Vom-Lumber-Jack-zum-Mountain-Climber.html#extended

·
Registered
966 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Not a rack drive Henner these are gear mods for slower speed and more pulling power!
manfred

sorry for the hijack!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Posted By lotsasteam on 04/11/2009 6:32 PM
Not a rack drive Henner these are gear mods for slower speed and more pulling power!
manfred

sorry for the hijack!

Oups,
I thought this was the link to the lumberjack modified for rack operation:

http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=7931

BTW David does not mind the hijacking!
Regards

1 - 20 of 21 Posts