G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
There is the Inner City railroad club of Boston!
John attends most shows in the area!
He has been @ the last two fall East Coast Large Scale Train Show .
He usually goes to the Shriners in Nov. but is passing this year.
Several members help set up and take down, but do not us other wise.
Sean

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sean
Thanks for reply. I knew about inner city, got some info from Dan. Hoping to get a few more peoples interest up. I heard he attended ECLSTS this past fall. I was led to believe it was his own traveling layout? I use to participate in a HO module club(about 8 yrs ago) and it seems to be a niche I am missing. There is also NHGRS, looking for something around mass.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
There is the CCTGG which has people from MA, RI, and CT. If you are in Central, MA most shows would not be a big commute.
LAO

·
Registered
112 Posts
Todd,

I'm right in the central mass corridor, in Leicester MA. A modular would be fun, may be force me to actually complete something.. LOL

Ted.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Rusty Rails is in Milford, MA and has light weight modules, a complete circle plus a pair of straight 4 footers.
Power is the 27mhz Aristo TE.
We use these at our winter meets, but no one has a way to easily transport these modules.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dan,
I was aware of the layout that Rusty Rails uses. I was thinking more like a group which create there own modules. They set up at local shows or events and display G scale. The modules could be built to a standard of some sort used by other G scale organizations which would allow the modules to be used with other goups if one desired. It's alittle ambitious of an idea, and it's not for everyone I know this from my HO days. There may not be any interest in the area either? You make a great point about transportation, I know in my HO days some people would "team up" with others who had either the vehicle or the space to get their modules to the show. It can be done, but it is a task if you don't have a vehicle and have to relie on others. I think it is going to be one of those things of meeting the right group of people. ....

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Todd,

In the summer 2010 issue of the GiMRA journal is an article of a UK club and the modules and boxes they use. Worth tracking down.
If you want a copy, let me know.
I agree it will mean falling in with the right people.
My dream is a portable live steam track here in Mass

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Live steam is messy and the styrofoam used in the rusty rail modules would not hold up.
Inner City has wood modules, but the oil from running steam would make the plywood messy long term, therefore they would most likely refrain from running live steam.

Also, track powered trains do not like the oil film on live steam track, acts like very dirty track.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Dan, I was running electrically-powered models & live steam simultaneously today on the same track.
The live-steamer was my 3-cylinder Accucraft Shay which has electrically insulated drive wheels so it can "play nice"
with my track-powered, DCC-controlled Bachmann "sparkies". Biggest issue I have when running the live steam 3-cylinder Shay & the "sparkies" together is oil from the live steamer (especially in the case of the Shay, oil flung from the rapidly spinning side shaft & gearing) making the rails slippery (& my mainline has a 3% ruling grade). Noticed it today when the Bachmann Mallet started slipping it's drivers upgrade on what would be a normal "tonnage"
train for that loco (6 heavy 1:20.3 freight cars, a mix of Bachmann "Spectrum" & Accucraft).

My other 2 Accucraft live-steamers (2-cylinder Mich-Cal #2 Shay, Ruby #11 2-4-2 with 4-wheel tender) don't have insulated wheel sets
, so it's necessary to shut the DCC system down completely when I run them. My 3-cylinder Shay's electrically insulated wheels unfortunately seem to be the exception rather than the rule
on live steam.

I will admit that my code-332 brass track (mostly Aristo with LGB turnouts) will frequently be dirty enough after an extensive live-steam running session to require me breaking out my "heavy artillery" track cleaner
- a battery-powered "detail sander" from an inexpensive rechargable tool set. This both removes any electrical conduction-inhibiting "scum" on the rails & (equally important to me) roughens up the railheads for improved traction on the grades.
However, I've had electrical pickup issues as bad if I haven't run the railroad for a while (particularly in the winter months
) - a combination of the natural oxidation of brass rail, contaminants (birdie "doo",
especially now during migration season - the birds think my large ham radio antenna system is a communal toilet!
) & "plastic wheel scum" can be just as bad if not worse. (I'm well into the process of phasing out plastic wheelsets here entirely - metal wheel sets are a requirement for any new rolling stock purchases, & any older plastic-wheeled stock is either being retro-fitted or retired). I've also had cases where a freshly-lubed "sparkie" can make the rails just as slippery
as a live-steamer can.

I've also given some thought to doing a portable track of my own
- but my biggest issue is "where to store it when it's not in use
"
(I'm currently tight on storage space here). I've done a very simple live-steam display (just a loop of track on the floor) at a local train show a couple of times - & each time it's been a huge hit of the show.
Here's a video of the last demo I did at a train show - the kids especially love it since I frequently let them run the RC-controlled Shay (which happily for show purposes doesn't run fast!
)...

I'm still considering doing some sort of portable layout or possibly a switching module in the future...
Tom

·
Registered
112 Posts
Todd,

Standards could be easily scaled up from Eastpenn's O scale trolley modules, etc. There are more than an few others out there, but EastPenn's is very specific in its specifications

Ted.

·
"Rocky Canyonero"
464 Posts
You might want to consider using the NHGRS standard... That way you might get a few of our members to join in on the MA shows too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts