G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to many things going but I have always wanted a turntable. I have no idea where its going ,yet.
But after studing Doug Matherson's and liking what he did  and after visiting a Mixed scale site  that Jon Foster put me onto. I found a photo of a N scale heavy steel table I really liked.
 see it takes team work....
I measured my Big boy from wheel to wheel and 52" works. (not sure what it is in 1:29th feet )
so I started today.

I want it fairly well detailed for photo ops. So I used 1/8" styrene and will place Garden metal Models cat walks on it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
RE: "Modern" Turntable 52 inch

Boy, its nice to have the room to think about where a 5 foot wide turntable is going to go in afterwards!
Marty are you coming to York this year?

-Brian

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts

My Mallet with USRA tender is 44 inches, so it will fit nicely.

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
I was thinking of  one of those  horizintal moving  tables.    I am thinking of  diesel shops in my industrial area

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian
sorry
 the SELSTS and Hagrys is the only ones I can make.
 I'm also saying all the wrong names

Bruce Chandlers turntable method and Ron Seneks method.
 My mind is filled with glue.
I need to head to town and look for rollers for the two ends.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Marty, Styrene Ruled!!!!!!!!!!!/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif:cool:  that turntable will be nice!!! Cool.  

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it will work out.
I want to have it ready for display at the Iowa show Feb 8,9
I just got back from the store and found screen door rollers, but I changed my mind on the way home and should have gotten 2 pks

I know I should have railings on both sides, but this is what I have. I may make a control shack also. need to find some photos.

I realized I can mount them sideways to standblize the ends and use 250 rail, now IF I can bend it that tight????

I want to make a ??? thiny over top like Ron S. did that is why there are side??? thingys sticking out.
Next week in the evenings I hope to get the base ready.

then I should finish the cranes and turbine. But after seeing Bryans, I don't know if I can handle it. .....

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/27/2008 2:57 PM
I think it will work out.
I want to have it ready for display at the Iowa show Feb 8,9
I just got back from the store and found screen door rollers, but I changed my mind on the way home and should have gotten 2 pks

I realized I can mount them sideways to standblize the ends and use 250 rail, now IF I can bend it that tight????

I want to make a ??? thiny over top like Ron S. did that is why there are side??? thingys sticking out.
Next week in the evenings I hope to get the base ready.

then I should finish the cranes and turbine. But after seeing Bryans, I don't know if I can handle it. .....
I like that idea of screen door rollers now that I see it on your model in progress. This is something I have been contemplating for my own layout (I have the 48 inch pit--that's all). I'll will be following your design to see how it works out--very impressive so far, to say the least!

--Ron in CC

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Jerry
I know how you livesteamers like your steam up tracks. So thought there be nothing cooler than a large TT and many round house tracks to pick from...

·
Vendor
3,317 Posts
Posted By NTCGRR on 01/27/2008 2:57 PM

Marty, you should be able to bend the 250 rail in a nice circle if you have a 48 inch diameter.   Just take it easy bending and it should go just fine.  Might think about hitting it with a torch (gently) to soften it if it gets to be a struggle. 

Sure looks nice.  Will the styrene handle the BB's weight OK?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts

Super Marty!! That's going to be one impressive model. It'll be almost twice the size of my little shortline job. I like the idea of using the Garden Metals railing & walks. Don't worry about having them only on one side. Many turntables were built that way.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Good to know Richard.
Stan, the BB will only be there for a photo ops, then its for you visitors. I think it will look cool with 10 to 12 engines around it. The only reason its big is for the BB.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

Marty the prototype i was following was in Feb 1973 model railroader. It shows the control shack and the center arch for the power cables. Yours does look good, is it going to be powered?

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts

Very Sweet Marty! I really like your use of screen door hardware :)

·
Premium Member
2,093 Posts
Dang Marty....Beautiful....have you designed the roundhouse for it yet?  Are you thinking about one???  

It's gonna be BIG (fitting your GRR nicely)....like 18' across if it covers 180 degrees of rotation...and 5' from front to back of each stall.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
And here I was going to use a redwood 2 X 4 of about 50 inches for my "turntable."  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/blush.gif

"We're not worthy.  We're not worthy."  /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/laugh.gif

1 - 20 of 44 Posts