G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Laughing as I look outside ... the real thing has been on the ground continuously since mid November and is now waist deep after last weekend's record snowfall. Tell us why you want to model something which is so readily available 6 months of the year?

Regards ... Doug

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
hehe I model a summer afternoon ;)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Our layout used to be indoors and only came out at Christmas time.  Eventually when I started getting more into realistic modeling and a bigger and more elaborate layout, I wanted to try a snowy look.  But I wanted something that would be easy.

My mom had some quilt batting she wasn't using...well she wasn't using it after I got to it /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif 

So I cut up some to fit around the buildings.  Looked good enough to me.  Might be kind of funny, and not very realistic for a permanent layout, but it worked great for a removable Christmas layout.

Looking online to give some links to quilt batting, I stumbled across this stuff that is used for fake snow:

Buffalo Snow

Interesting stuff, looks a lot like quilt batting I used.

But then if you move outside where it snows, you can have scenes like this:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aound my house in vermont the show is about 30 inches deep, 6 where it has come off the roof.  I'm doing a diromama
of sorts for a sugar house model i built.  Show is not a good word here unless you ski or snow mobile.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By San Juan on 03/13/2008 3:55 PM
if you move outside where it snows, you can have scenes like this:

Now that is my kind of railroad scene !  

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Living in Southern Cal I have also asked this question. Usually with answers like above...."SNOW? I have 10 feet in my driveway!" I've tried a number of things and seen a number of solutions to the warm weather snow scenes.

One was a product called Insta snow or snow powder. If you do an online search you will find it. Briefly it is a nontoxic polymer, I believe, that once water is added makes a very fluffy real looking feeling snow powder. it is not inexpensive though.
I've also used snow flakes and the like from crafts store's around the holidays. A gentleman I know who has a beautiful Holiday display outdoors every year uses crushed marble I think and ends up vacuuming it up when he's done.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Wasn't there a guy with in indoor layout who had winter scenes? His photos could give you chills in July.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Right after the first big snow of the year when my oldest daughter was about 4 she decided that her goldfish would like to have some snow too. So she added about a pound of laundry detergent to the tank...they didn't like it. I've cleaned that tank about 6 times over the years and whatever you put in it STILL promptly dies.

cotton batting, spray snow, and a good imagination worked when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Posted By Torby on 04/02/2008 7:02 AM
Wasn't there a guy with in indoor layout who had winter scenes? His photos could give you chills in July.

Is this what your looking for?

http://www.wvrr.ca/march05_update.htm

If your thinking of doing something like this outside I might try the same thing with a concrete mix of some kind. Tough to do with real trees and shrubs though.

Dave

/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif My 'preview' buttons don't work this morning so I hope this is readable.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Hi Dave,
Those shots look nice.
I always enjoy my "tours" of your railroad.
You do nice work.
Tom

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I thought it was you!

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Posted By dawinter on 04/02/2008 7:48 AM

Posted By Torby on 04/02/2008 7:02 AM Wasn't there a guy with in indoor layout who had winter scenes? His photos could give you chills in July.

Is this what your looking for? http://www.wvrr.ca/march05_update.htm If your thinking of doing something like this outside I might try the same thing with a concrete mix of some kind. Tough to do with real trees and shrubs though. Dave /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif" /> My 'preview' buttons don't work this morning so I hope this is readable.

Wow. What a great effect ! Love it !

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Posted By blackburn49 on 04/02/2008 6:39 PM
Posted By dawinter on 04/02/2008 7:48 AM

Posted By Torby on 04/02/2008 7:02 AM Wasn't there a guy with in indoor layout who had winter scenes? His photos could give you chills in July.

Is this what your looking for? http://www.wvrr.ca/march05_update.htm If your thinking of doing something like this outside I might try the same thing with a concrete mix of some kind. Tough to do with real trees and shrubs though. Dave /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif" border=0>" src="/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/sad.gif" /> My 'preview' buttons don't work this morning so I hope this is readable.

Wow. What a great effect ! Love it !

Thanks

I'd expect you would be contemplating at least a little bit of a snow scene up there. It's not fun I can tell you that. I still have about 10 feet to do at the opposite corner of the room.

Dave

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I needed snow for a photo shoot last year. I ended up using table salt. Better than flour because it sparkles like real snow. Better than the polymer stuff because the flakes are much closer to scale. Nobody mentioned instant mashed potato flakes, but they are too big, and not very realistic close up.

Of course, nothing is perfect. I had to be very careful to only put the salt on my rocks, and had to vacuum it up immediately afterwards. If I could figure out how to post pictures here, I would.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I just used a watery plaster but that had a 'flat' look that needed something. I found a white sparkle product at a ceramics shop that gave it the shiny look I needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts