G Scale Model Train Forum banner

MLS Name Tags

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  blackburn49 
#1 ·
I've seen MLS name tags mentioned several times. I understand they are supposed to on the site somewhere for download. But I can't find it. If it is so, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Michael

#3 ·
Michael,
Hate to be the bearer of bad gnus, but there isn't a download file.
If I recall correctly, the official MLS name tags for 1st class members are no longer offered. Shad could clarify that remark, as he's the one in control of the badges...
I was having a "special" SDRR/MLS event, and one of the members here offered to develop a custome badge to be used by the other attendees.
Sorry if all of that caused any confusion or consternation...

#5 ·
Actually, this is a real shame and is completely incomprehensible to me! Having a place where members can click on to access a template badge and insert their own name is very easy to do (It's got to be easier than fixing all of the "bugs" that were in the chat!) The badges are FREE ADVERTISING!! I just don't understand the reluctance to add this feature.....:confused:

#6 ·
He used to send you a nice badge when you signed up for 1st class, but it got to be a bit of a headache, especially when he went suddenly from 4 daughters to 6.

Alas, mine is missing. I had it on the way to Collinsville a couple months ago, but decided not to wear it when I stopped for lunch. Haven't seen it since

#7 ·
Posted By Steve Stockham on 05/07/2008 6:33 AM
Actually, this is a real shame and is completely incomprehensible to me! Having a place where members can click on to access a template badge and insert their own name is very easy to do (It's got to be easier than fixing all of the "bugs" that were in the chat!) The badges are FREE ADVERTISING!! I just don't understand the reluctance to add this feature.....

It's not a case of reluctance, but priorities. There are a number of problems and bugs that I've got to get fixed that are much more crucial than having a badge printer.

#9 ·
I think there is some confusion on this thread.

If I understand correctly, Steve asked about a TEMPLATE, i.e. a file that you could put your name into and then print yourself, not a real plastic engraved badge.

Perhaps some MLS member could come up with something, and perhaps people who have an honest-to-goodness MLS badge could scan one so we could see what it looks like. Heck, I might even be able to make the "template".

I think Shad and others might be talking about a REAL badge, which is, of course, lower in priority than all the other stuff Shad is doing.

So maybe we could do this, and get it to a state where Shad could just see the "template" and bless it for genera consumption. That way we can move forward and not tie Shad up.

Does this make sense?

Regards, Greg

#11 ·
I concur with Dwight...

It was not our place, nor intention to generate a new MLS badge, but more one that would identify those that were coming over to the SDRR/MLS Open House.

Adding the MLS logo to the top was an identifying mark, to what otherwise would could have pretty bland badge (or probably considered "egotistical" if I had the SDRR logo on there...)

I wanted something that the MLS members who were coming over would hopefully consider as a "GOTTA keep THIS" sort of momento from the convention.

A tangible goodie that would mean something to them later down the road...

And I believe that it also put MLS out in front of a bunch of people...

I could be wrong on that score, but I doubt it.

Anyway, here's what mine looks like.

Dennis did a great job!!!

Brushed brass like surface, with laser cut black lettering (plastic badge).

#13 ·
It's pure class...like all the stuff Duncan did for his GRR....SDRR pins (see his photo), printed tickets for the "riders" of his railroad, his conductor getup (which was kinda uncomfortable in the heat), conductors punch to punch those tickets with the day you were there, guest book (which had 37 pages of signatures from the "tour"...at like 25 lines per page), good track...no derailments in the 9 hours I was there with three trains running (even with Tom Mejia running two trains at once), and (oh yeah), a magical smoke release system for the general entertainment of all...or was it Duncan moving at light speed across his layout to the smoke generator.

Like I said....a class act. He really "thought" through the entertainment aspects of his GRR....I mean REALLY...and we were all entertained!!!

#14 ·
Thanks, Mike...

My head should fit into my hat in about three days... :)

Minor corrections. With both power supplies working, we had five trains running on two loops...

And while I like the thought that we'd hosted 925 folks (it sure felt like it at the end of the day) there were only 21 pages of signatures from the tour day (forgot to put the book out for the open house) with 17 lines per page, and actual "name count" totalled 588. I figure that another 10% (minimum) didn't make it over to the sign in table, so let's call it 645 visitors in one day.

Thanks for the compliments, they make me realize that the work that Ralph and I have put in here is enjoyed by others, too. I think that's what helps me keep pluggin' along. Thinkin' up new and interesting things for people to look at and (hopefully) run a train under their own control through... That's the next concept. Everybody play trains...

#16 ·
Well here's one possble solution, make yer own...pick up one of the MLS business cards that are passed out at the train shows, and either with a typewriter or lettering machine add your name to it.

The "official" badge is slightly larger than the cards so if you want to get fancy with a larger badge, copy the card with the larger name tag on the bottom onto card stock. I lost mine then found it again, its now safely awaiting the next BTS, wish we had more shows out here to wear it to.

Were all creative, and can find our own temporary solutions until Shad has the free time to re-address the issue.

#17 ·
Posted By Mike Reilley on 05/07/2008 7:25 PM

It's pure class...like all the stuff Duncan did for his GRR....SDRR pins (see his photo), printed tickets for the "riders" of his railroad, his conductor getup (which was kinda uncomfortable in the heat), conductors punch to punch those tickets with the day you were there, guest book (which had 37 pages of signatures from the "tour"...at like 25 lines per page), good track...no derailments in the 9 hours I was there with three trains running (even with Tom Mejia running two trains at once), and (oh yeah), a magical smoke release system for the general entertainment of all...or was it Duncan moving at light speed across his layout to the smoke generator. Like I said....a class act. He really "thought" through the entertainment aspects of his GRR....I mean REALLY...and we were all entertained!!!

Wow. What an event that must have been! Sorry I missed out on it.

#18 ·
Stan,
Thanks... More organizimation to come... (could get interesting...)

Vic,
Where there's a will, there's generally a way. ;)

Ron,
Thanks. The concensus indicates that it was as entertaining as could be expected, given the location. We could have used a Far North influence, just for fun. If you find your way down here in the future, just holler. We'll see if we can drag out the fun bucket. :)

#19 ·
Posted By Duncan on 05/09/2008 11:57 AM

Ron, Thanks. The concensus indicates that it was as entertaining as could be expected, given the location. We could have used a Far North influence, just for fun. If you find your way down here in the future, just holler. We'll see if we can drag out the fun bucket. 

Whenever I can find the time and the where-with-all to visit my brother who lives in Phoenix, I'll make a point of stopping by. I definitely look forward to it. Possibly this next fall after the tourist season here comes to an end (it has not yet begun).

#20 ·
Posted By vsmith on 05/08/2008 8:46 AM

Well here's one possble solution, make yer own...pick up one of the MLS business cards that are passed out at the train shows, and either with a typewriter or lettering machine add your name to it. The "official" badge is slightly larger than the cards so if you want to get fancy with a larger badge, copy the card with the larger name tag on the bottom onto card stock. I lost mine then found it again, its now safely awaiting the next BTS, wish we had more shows out here to wear it to. Were all creative, and can find our own temporary solutions until Shad has the free time to re-address the issue.

If it will help, this is my original badge:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.