G Scale Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Greg Elmassian on 06 Apr 2011 07:19 PM
It's not in the general updates yet... they must be staging it... I went to microsoft update, and IE9 was not offered... critical or otherwise.

Greg

Somehow or other I got on the early list.... lucky me!

·
Super Modulator
20,510 Posts
Huh?

I ran microsoft update as I said... it was not offered... you know when you run windows update from IE? I know it exists, my point was that it was not being proffered in the normal updates your computer runs (or should be running!)...

I know it's available, I'm a member of Tech Net, have been for years...

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I'm running MS/win7 and received MS/Internet Explorer 9 unsolicited via MS/Windows Update. However, as with all software installed on any computer I have, the software's ability to automatically check for updates/upgrades is enabled, but the decision to install anything is left up to me.

I learned a very long time ago that the mindset of "Transparent to the user" is in no way your friend, and will cause you more headaches than any minuscule benefit that you'll ever receive from adhering to it.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Ex9 joined my update list today...
Like SteveC I have final say if it gets added...

John

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By Totalwrecker on 08 Apr 2011 09:46 AM
Ex9 joined my update list today...
Like SteveC I have final say if it gets added...

John

Yeah, that is what happened to me... it was just in the list... and I figured, well... Somebody has to be first (or in this case, second), so I let it install.

Like i said, no problems until I tried to post here and it didn't work until I selected "Compatibility Mode" by clicking on the ripped sheet of paper icon/button next to the address box.

The icon/button gets slightly greener (bluer?)when selected. There is also a dialog box that I found SOMEWHERE that lists the sites that are in compatibility mode and allows you to edit the list, but right now I can't find it again. Clicking the icon/button again seems to disable the mode, but once set for a site it stays that way so there is no need to change it unless you want to test to see if the site was changed to be compatible with IE-9.

There are several other changes that I kinda like. And some may help me detect when some malware tries to trick me into doing something I don't wanna do... dialogs are slightly different so if a malware program tries to emulate the old types of notices I should see that and will respond differently... of course now I have to learn what the new types look like so I can recognize when some malware program tries to emulate the old way.

The notice that a site is ready to download a file or open a PDF etc. is now a popup window pinned to the bottom of the browser window instead of the slide down bar at the top, and it gives more options for what to do.

"Tabs" are now on the same line as the address bar (but can be changed to the old way of having the tabs on a seperate line), thus saving some screen rea-lestate for the website I am viewing. BUT, the icons for "Compatibility Mode", "Refresh" and "Stop" are now closer to the left side because the addres bar is lots shorter and it will take a while for me to get used to moving the mouse to the left to hit the "X" (Stop) button when I want to kill the annoying animated icons.

There are several new features that I have not investigated yet, but will as I get braver at trying things.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts