G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I heard at one time there was an actual working G scale model of Roger's trolley that was sold about ten years ago. Can any of you verify this one way or the other?

Thanks very much,

Matthew

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have heard that as well. If they did, I can see them being very expensive now. If you are looking for one, you could get a Bachmann open trolley and then kitbash it to match. This is what I will be doing years from now once I get a house with a yard and then money.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
I really have never seen one made that was for sale. May have to do a kit bash. Later RJD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies everyone. The Bachmann trolley is actually very similar to the TV version so a conversion would probably be the best thing to do. I'm going to continue seearching though because if a replica was made there has to be a picture of it somewhere.

Thanks again,
Matthew

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think someone put a NWSL drive block or similar drive block under those and sold them a few years ago. That would be a neat one to pull out during a convention or openhouse. Most of use grew up watching Mr Rodgers as kids. Thats our Thomas the tank engine for our generation!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
If there was one, and I kind of remember seeing one, then Family Communications most likely would have licensed it. You could give them a call at 412-687-2990 and see if they can shed any light on your search.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
As was stated above, Holgate Toys made a limited number (1200?) a long time ago, they are NOT currently in production, aand last I heard there was NO plans for a re-issue (I used to be a Holgate dealer). Each one came with a certificate and serial number. They had the wooden floor toy upper body and NWSL drives. The originals are getting quite hard to find and expensive.

There is also ONE out there somewhere with a Hartland Mack drive and lights. I know, because _I_ built that one. The NWSL drive is MUCH easier because it installs mostly below the floor, the Mack drive requires cutting much of the center out of the floor to clear the brick and wheels.

The Holgate floor toy trolley is currently $60 from the factory http://www.holgatetoy.com/Products/Classic-Trolley--Wooden-Toy-Made-in-the-USA__HZ6161.aspx I think the power brick is in the +/- $50 range... http://www.nwsl.com

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I wonder what the long term situation with any Mr Rogers material will be since PBS pulled the plug on his show at most stations this September.

Honestly, I wonder why they did, maybe they forgot that they probably would not exist today if it were not for Rev. Fred Rogers:

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I heard he had full length arm tattoos and this is the reason he always wore long sleeves? lol

Now that is silly!

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Well during his stint with Uncle Sam as a young man, he was an Army Ranger Special Forces member, how about that in a show opening!

"Hello Children, I'm Mr Rogers and I can kill you in 3 seconds...welcome to MY neighborhood"

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts
Hmm... did some more research... seems those stories about him being in the military and the tatoos are false...

I had heard otherwise on an email being circulated, but research shows spul is right.

Regards, Greg

·
Super Modulator
20,512 Posts
Yep... well I'll have to do some more research, the email I got about Mr. Sniper Rogers also said captain kangaroo was also in the military and decorated as a hero...

Regards, Greg

·
Premium Member
2,746 Posts
I have learned, if you ever get a chain e-mail from anyone over 50, check it on snopes et al, 99.99999999999% it is wrong, especially if it invloves a celeb, terminally ill child, store, or a Democrat.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If I remember correctly, from looking it up on snopes, Capt. Kangaroo was in the military but is not as decorated as they claim.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts