G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's all Mr Walas's fault

Some times when I see something a switch goes off in my head and the way on how to make something comes very quickly to me.
When I saw the new LGB Kof I thought that was really cool, then Chris posted his way cool "low slung" Porter and then I really wanted something "low slung" like that but in Dismal form, and began considering how to use a Mack to do it

One day sketching in my little notebook the switch went of, Aha!, so I decided to make something like the Kof with influences by Plymouth

What I started with:

Introduce Mr Razorsaw

Relocate the modified cab back and cut it into the frame, added some additional frame extenstions

Cut the radiator off the hood, add a new styrene hood

New bits added,

New interior started

Underside showing self adhesive lead weights stuck where-ever I could fit them

Be carefull to make sure the engine weights are balance evenly, helps performance

Painted Borracho's mining road colors Silver and Black (sorry Chris)

Still needs a little weathering and a dullcoat to even out the paint, but its all ready for service on the line.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, even I'm a bit surprised at how well this one came out, considering I used as many stock parts as I could putting it together. I really should also give a shout out to Dave Fletchers Masterclass's. Its amazing how much can be done with styrene and other bits once you seen the alchemy explained the way the Masterclasses do.

Dan, I get lots of sleep, I was just lucky recently to have some rare free-time at the workbench, guess I had a lot of model energy pent up when I started.

Richard, yes, I found by carefully cutting the Mack hood portion away from the radiator, then inserting either a wire screen or some other textured surface, I think this used corregated roofing or metal floor deck styrene, builds a convincing radiator, and I get 2 per Mack so I have a few always laying around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.