G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to "do" canvas in scale? Goal is to create a mining town with a few tents and building with canvas roofs.

·
Premium Member
6,042 Posts
Linen handkerchiefs.
Long time favorite.

·
Junior Senior Member
566 Posts
Just about any fine woven cloth will work. If you cannot find a canvas color, buy it in white and stain it.

Stains to try are tea, coffee, or any dark drink. Try some samples to get the shade you want.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Miners tent and canvas roofs

I thought as much, but its good to check in with experienced folks.

thanks,
WES

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Madame, indeed! I wish.
But I do refer to her as such. Much in the 19th century context, though.

I can sew, but could not possibly make a 1:20 scale stich :(

I anticipated an answer like "glue" or "magic stich" done with iron

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Can I have more information on this particular model and how it was made. I think I am seeing an inner wall used to keep the "canvas" taught looking.

Nails on the size are the size of scale doorknobs, but that's just the way it is in representative scale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Can I get some measurement on that lovely tent-building. Just anything so I can scale it out.: maybe the width of a board on the door or even the skid dimension.
I've drawn out a few examples, but the proportion does not look right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Canvas idea

I used a fine grit sandpaper epoxied to my Sandy River cab roof to represent canvas.. Painted light gray. It's held up for twenty years.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I built a plex structure using 1/8" plexi, the fabric was a tea stained old undershirt. I stretched the shirt while still wet over the structure and set it out in the sun to dry. I then sprayed the structure with lightly to weather and clear coat to seal. This bonded the fabric to the plexi. The structure has been out in the sun for over 12 summers (6months) and twice weekly sprinkler attacks. It has now started to show deterioration. I bring all my buildings in during our winter months.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really nice looking paymaster building. Love the humor.... CNC signage?
I found a large piece of flannel-like cloth that came with one of my wife's handbags. Eager to give that a try, as soon I reach the next wall with my bashed tank engine and "sorta" tender. No big hauler, aristo tank, Stainz have given lives for a better cause.

WES

1 - 17 of 17 Posts