G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after my mikado came back from Rays last year after a DCS convesion i havent done much with it, 2 weeks ago i decided to detail and weather it a bit and here is what i ended up with..
Nick..

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Nick - nice weathering job. I bit the bullit the other night and have begun weathering my MTH Big Boy - so far so good, but it's always a little scary to start screwing around with a $1K engine!

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Nick,
Is that still the Mikado smoke unit? If so, how did you trigger the puffing? If not, what smoke unit is it and do you have pictures of the installation?
Thanks,
JimC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim,
No thats no longer the aristo unit, when i had Ray install DCS i had him put in a MTH unit cause they seem to smoke quite well. i dont have any pictures of the install but i beleive Ray has some on his site. i will have this engine back out running next week, i will try and remember to take the shell off and snap a few photos for you. also i see you ended up going with pheniox in your k-4, did you use the 2k2 or the other one they have? IF YOU WENT WITH THE 2K2 THE BOARD IT HAS TRIGGERS ON IT TO MAKE THE SMOKE CUFF IN SINK WITH THE DRIVERS. MY USA TRAINS HUDSONS HAVE TRAIN AMERICA STUDIOS SMOKE UNITS FACTORY INSTALLED AND THEY ARE HOOKED UP TO THE PHENIOX SOUND BOARD AND THEY DO CUFF,ooops sorry about the high caps i dont fell like retyping that, buy the way im waiting on a couple of extra smoke units from Mth to give to Ray but im going to keep one to install in one of my k-4s and im going to trigger it with the pheniox sound system. if you go to pheniox web site or call them they can let you know how to do it, i havent done mine yey but it is quite doable. by the way looks like you guys had a great time at Martys? the videos you took came out great...
Nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Posted By jlinde on 10/02/2008 10:14 AM
Nick - nice weathering job. I bit the bullit the other night and have begun weathering my MTH Big Boy - so far so good, but it's always a little scary to start screwing around with a $1K engine!

I was the same way but once you start no going back, just go slow you can always add more wheathering if you dont like what you have done so far.. and please add at least your 1st name to your profile so we know what to call you, i hate talking to a handle. he he he

Nick

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
If you go with the TA system it has a trigger devise all you have to do is add Mags and away you go. I have done both of my Mallets that way. Now that I have QSI there are more options to so the chuff. Later RJD

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
The first video , is Awesome , starting with the loco , great sound , fantastic chuffing smoke in that wind , great , makes me want 'THAT' locomotive , yes yours . Thats realistic !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts