G Scale Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a way to attach a coupler to the front of an Aristo Mikado or Pacific without removing the pilot (the "cowcatcher")? I'd like to have the coupler  on there but it doesn't have to work. My daughter likes the pilot on the front but I'd like the look of the coupler.

It doesn't have to function--I'm not likely to be doing any double heading. I have some extra aristo couplers around but I assume a Kadee ould look better

Here's an example of a modified pilot:

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Others have modified the pilot by drilling two new holes and installing a Kadee 789 coupler.  I think Marty Cozad did this, among others.  The way the coupler pocket is on there now, you can't get the aristo coupler and the pilot to work together.  However, if you aren't worried about functionality, you might just glue it in place.  

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Larry Hergert wrote up a piece on this awhile back, but I don't know how to get back to the old archives. He used an Ozark pocket that he bolted to the front. I did it also, on my LS Mike, used a Kadee coupler piece(no springs/etc) in it. Trimmed the pilot to fit around it. WOrked out fine and it works.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
If functionality is not a consideration, a more prototypical looking O-guage coupler or the smaller Kadee coupler could be glued in place after a small opening was made in the pilot.  

Another alternative would be to mount a snow plow to the pilot truck coupler mount as I did on my Pacific. 

and shown in this video.

youtube.com/watch
Jim C.

·
Old Senior Member
1,456 Posts
Lownote... Not to sure what kind of a coupler you are trying to install. But the pilot is not to hard to work on.
Mine must of hit something and broke off the two mounting brackets and  some bars. .  I tried to repair them but just to much missing./DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/crying.gif

There are two screw on back side of the pilot and easy to take out..    /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif
Then there is a screw that  is holding the dummy coupler on.   /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/hehe.gif     That's where I mounted a Kedee coupler pocket with a coupler I wanted to use.

I found another  pilot, I  think it is a Bachmann pilot.  It was in my junk pile. I cut it out to fit a Kedee coupler pocket. 
I install a USA coupler on mine and heated up the shank in kind of an of set  to match my Bachmann and USA couplers heights...
Mine now can push cars around my 10 ft curves with not problems. /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/mls/emoticons/whistling.gif
Hope this help as we also mute other Pacific for helpers. and do some switching with the front coupler to.:)

I like Jim Carters idea.. being it swings and follows the tracks for debris and snow.. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts