G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Two questions. One, what would be a good semi-prototypical material to use for the 'strapping' that goes around the water storage tank? I've see everything from bailing wire to brass or copper strips. Second, the roof material? Again I've seen a multitude of materials from wood to metal. Either way. I'll have to experiment to get the 'pie' shapes even when i build it.

Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zip ties? Interesting. They would look good and the ease of installation can't be beat, but will they hold up to UV exposure? Here in Colorado there is little relief from the sun, then there's the hail, the dogs, kids... Oh well.

I also lik the look of wire and using the turnbuckles from ozard minatures. My question would be how to 'end' the wires inside the small turnbuckle.

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know how the zip ties would hold up to uv's. I haven't finished construction yet on the layout. But I spray painted and put a clear coat over it. If all else fails, they are easy to replace.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Bill,

Several years ago I scratch-built a backwoods water tank.

I used brass wire as banding. I probably did an overkill on the way I connected the bands. The bands are held together by taking 2 pieces of short brass tubing and soldering them together at a slight angle to form the connector. I had to make up a little wood jig to hold the tubing together while they were soldered. It was a little tedious since the pieces of tubing were only about 3/8" long. I then threaded each end of the solid brass bands. Next, I slipped each end through the connector and screwed on brass nuts to hold them in place. This technique allowed me to actually tighten the bands just like the real ones. Lastly, I painted the bands and connectors black. Here's a close up. Pardon the quality of the enlargement.

Hopes this gives you some more ideas.

Doc

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Hi,

My water tank is amde on the shell of a 10 liter(2 gallon) paint container in plastic.The  buckles from bits of tube & plastic rod for the center of the tubes; the bands are from plastic (styrene ) sheet.  

Here are a couple of photos of it and it has been outside for a couple of years now I think, the Climax behind it is the Bachmann one with a new cab, and other bits and pieces. 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doc,

I love your detail and I like the look as well as the function of your connection. I think I'll 'borrow' your idea if I may. I would also like how the brass ages over time. Thanks to another MLS'er whose offered up time and ideas.

Bill

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Posted By docwatsonva on 09/28/2008 6:45 AM

(SNIP)

I used brass wire as banding. I probably did an overkill on the way I connected the bands. The bands are held together by taking 2 pieces of short brass tubing and soldering them together at a slight angle to form the connector. I had to make up a little wood jig to hold the tubing together while they were soldered. It was a little tedious since the pieces of tubing were only about 3/8" long. I then threaded each end of the solid brass bands. Next, I slipped each end through the connector and screwed on brass nuts to hold them in place. This technique allowed me to actually tighten the bands just like the real ones. Lastly, I painted the bands and connectors black. Here's a close up. Pardon the quality of the enlargement.

Hopes this gives you some more ideas.

Doc

Nice replication of the real thing!

I have spent the last couple of hours thumbing through my old RR books in a vain attempt to find a set of photos and drawings I know I have of exactly what you have replicated. The tank cable tensioning devices were cast metal with two holes bored through them at pretty much the angle at which you have soldered the two brass tubes together. A cable wound around the water tank was welded or otherwise clamped in-line with a threaded bolt which was passed through the device with a nut on the end used to pull the bolt through the cast device to tighten the cable. If I ever find the images I will scan and post them here, but I am at my wits end trying to remember which book I saw them in.

G

·
Hi Bill,

I will add my 2 cents. I have built and sold almost 30 ptotoypical D&RGW water towers. I have all the hardware you need if this is the water tower you are modeling. I even make a resin cedar shingle roof casting for water towers. It comes in 8 sections and 16 ridge caps 2 for each seam. You can see this on my web site mcwwerks.com. Look under the title of resin cast cedar roofing to see a picture.Please feel free to contact me if you want more information. Thanks for your time Joe

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for posting the pixes on the water towers. Until I saw the second one, I had no idea round bands were used on them. That makes it a world easier for me. I suppose they'd use common turnbuckles, unlike the band type?

Les W.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Posted By 1:20.3 builder on 10/01/2008 2:02 PM
Hi Bill,

I will add my 2 cents. I have built and sold almost 30 ptotoypical D&RGW water towers. I have all the hardware you need if this is the water tower you are modeling. I even make a resin cedar shingle roof casting for water towers. It comes in 8 sections and 16 ridge caps 2 for each seam. You can see this on my web site mcwwerks.com. Look under the title of resin cast cedar roofing to see a picture.Please feel free to contact me if you want more information. Thanks for your time Joe
Joe you do some really nice work. I really like the water towers you made. A little too pricey for my wallet though. Great work.

·
Premium Member
5,510 Posts
Dave:
Nope, those are cinch blocks that are attached to a flat band around the tank. The drawing I am thinking of matches pretty close to what Doc made. It is a single long casting with two holes drilled lengthwise through it next to each other and at a slight angle to account for the curvature of the tank. A single cable wraps around the tank (in place of the flat band) and the ends of the cable are threaded (like the bar in your drawing). Tightening nuts on the threaded ends pulls the cable through the holes in the casting, tightening the cable on the tank.

But thanks for reminding me about looking for the drawing... I found it!!!!

This drawing shows using 3 devices per cable around a tank.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Semper,

Thanks for posting the pic. I hadn't found one of the cable tighteners yet. What dia and material do you use for 'banding' on your towers? I've got a plan that shows nylon fish line, but I think some soft metal that could be threaded would look good.

Les

1 - 20 of 23 Posts