G Scale Model Train Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well, I just hit the wrong button and lost my whole post. :mad:
Here are some photos for comparison. First the locomotive as it came from the ALCO shop.

Then the stock Bachmann Connie.

My Dad took this a photo of the train that we rode from Mexico City to Oaxaca City when we lived in Mexico. I was 9 or 10 years old at the time.

This is my attempt at recreating that photo with my model. I may try to get a better angle and light but here it is for now.

Now a couple of photos of the entire train on my railroad.

That is about it. I may add some more photos if I can get some good ones. Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Winn, very nice train. I have enjoyed following your posts.

Larry

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Amazing finish. Huge leap to completion since I last saw it on your bench. I now know why you have been scarce the last couple of weeks. Wonderful train.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Here is another photo that I tried to match the original. Closer but still not quite there.

My wife took this so I figured I might as well post it.

Well I need to get back getting ready for a steam-up/open house and some honey-dos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Winn

Just caught up with your latest posts. The 291 is looking really great and makes a fine sight with the authentic baggage and passenger cars in front of your Alvarado building.

Still working on my No. 287. A bit hung up on the valve gear changes at the moment and not so much time for modelling now that Spring/Summer is with us.

Did you remove the back-wall on the Connie cab? All the photos I have seen of the G030s show that there was no back-wall.

All best and a great conversion. What's next - an HR01?

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi Tim, Thanks for the compliment. No I did not remove the back although I did enlarge the opening around the backhead. I know that there are a number of details that are not quite correct due to lack of information or just the fact that I was going more for the look rather than an exact scale model. The back of the cab does make it much more sturdy. I am not familiar with the nomenclature you mention, but no, I do not plan any more Mexican trains. Everything else I run is Colorado or New Mexico.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I had not seen that one. Gerald Best's book has a photo of #368 on the page opposite the contents page. I think I read somewhere that it was originally a Uintah loco. Bachmann has a couple of models of that but I think they are either 1/24 or 1/22.5. Either of those would be a real beast in 1/20.3 scale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ndem locomotive 279

Dear fellow American modelers, this is my first posting I am a Mexican fan of all these types of trains, and I really regret not having been able to know the time in which they served in my country, however I have spent all this time looking for information and data about the fleet of railway material that existed in Mexico of narrow-gauge trains, I will leave here a sample of a model that I built on paper from one of the locomotives that until recently was still in operation as a living museum exhibit to the south of the country, it is the consolidation locomotive 2-8-0, class G-030 no. 279 that was built by Baldwin in 1921
:)

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Welcome to MLS. I lived in Oaxaca from age 6 to age 13 and loved riding the little narrow gauge trains from Mexico DF. I have a photo of 279 but it is not clear and hard to see the details. Where was it running?

·
Registered
2 Posts
[QUOTE = "placitassteam, publicación: 1137482, miembro: 1166"]
Bienvenidos a MLS. Viví en Oaxaca desde los 6 hasta los 13 años y me encantaba viajar en los pequeños trenes de vía estrecha desde México DF. Tengo una foto de 279 pero no está clara y es difícil ver los detalles. ¿Dónde estaba corriendo?
[/CITAR]
¡Hola! Hello! My name is Joaquín, I am from the city of Aguascalientes, Mexico, I have some photos of the NdeM 291 in Buenavista and photos of the locomotive already on standard track as number 904! Here I attach them, I hope You answer. By the way there are some photos of the 291 still like 300 inside the factory, could you please attach them to me Cheers! Joaquin Chavez Salabert

·
Registered
2 Posts
[QUOTE = "Pete Thornton, publicación: 1161723, miembro: 260"]
Creo que Winn todavía está por aquí y estará encantado de ver tus fotos.
[/CITAR]
hopefully! Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Bien venido a MLS Joaquin! Mi Espan~ol ya no es muy bueno, por eso voy a contiuar en English. I am sorry it has taken so long to reply to you. Here are the ALCO Schenectady shop photos of #300 (N de M 291) as built.

300 F.jpg
300 LS.jpg
300 RS.jpg
300 TR.jpg

41 - 55 of 55 Posts