G Scale Model Train Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone suggest a good brand and/or source for small (2 - 3 mm) metric taps?

i'll be starting an Aster GN S2 kit hopefully toward the end of next week. and seeing there are a plethora of construction pictures already, unless there is a specific request, i will probably just take & keep them for my own records.

this will be my second Aster engine following the NKP Berkshire.
my choice for a next American prototype would be an NJC 4-6-0 camelback.

time to break out the 3x reading glasses.
cheers...gary

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Gary,
www.e-taps.com
They have a wide selection of all metric shapes and sizes and are quick to ship. I've used them numerous times over the past year for various small taps that I needed. Their prices are quite hard to beat for single taps/dies.
EDIT:

Seems they have upped their price while I was overseas....darn economics. I would suggest McMaster Carr, Small Parts, or Micro Mark for a quick and easy individual tap purchase.

It's been a while since I needed taps, but Micro Mark's catalog has a nice mini metric selection ranging from 1.6mm-5mmx0.8

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Gary, I have not needed to use a tap while building the S-2, a small wire to align holes is handy. If you will be cutting the wire for hand rails with side cutters, a small file to clean up the burr is good. The + driver you got with the Berk works well again. This kit is taking a bit longer then the Berkshire, but that may just be me, as I am doing this build for someone else.
It is an impressive engine, lots of details.
Jeff

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, that's good to hear. i had a couple stubborn holes with the NKP engine, but you're probably right. most were typically misaligned or due to a slightly offset clearance hole.

i just hope they came up with a better solution for those hinge pins (the NKP had two in the oiler linkage and two for the smokebox door that i recall). i don't believe i got one of those installed but opted for a short piece of handrail wire instead.

appreciate all the other input/sources.
...gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.